Copying from primary "site" to secondary "site", and what's needed for a full recovery

Last post 01-03-2014, 10:35 AM by Ali. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Copying from primary "site" to secondary "site", and what's needed for a full recovery
    Posted: 11-14-2013, 12:36 PM

My organization is looking to make a secondary copy of all of our commvault to a another building at our site.  The benefit is both of our sites are connected with 240 strand single mode fiber, and they are in separate buildings with separate power and cooling.  Up until this point, we haven't done any secondary copies outside of our primary site, except to the cloud.  We're only getting about 25mbps to Azure, and moving just 26TB of data is scheduled to complete after 2014 starts. 

In order to start this quick, we're standing up 2 large CIFS shares at this second building.  This is what I need to verify with this community.  If I add a mount path to each CIFS share on my media agents, is that the best way to start this?  Also, what do I send over there to make sure I can bring up all of my backup data, and how would that be accomplished?

• Re: Copying from primary "site" to secondary "site", and what's needed for a full recovery
    Posted: 11-18-2013, 2:56 PM

Hi,

I suppose you have to create a magnetic library. Add the CIFS shares to it. Multiple media agents should be possible to write to the disk device...

This disk device can be used as a target for your auxilary copy.

You can have a look at the books online how to manage the creation

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/release_10_0_0/books_online_1/english_us/prod_info/disk_library.htm

Link is for Simpana 10, but such instructions are also available for earlier version of the Simpana software.

Regards,

Bart

• Re: Copying from primary "site" to secondary "site", and what's needed for a full recovery
    Posted: 12-31-2013, 11:14 AM

Here is some documentation regarding setting up database mirroring.

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/release_10_0_0/books_online_1/english_us/features/disaster_recovery/cs_mirror/primary_cs.htm

In this method of building a standby CommServe, the SQL Server Database Mirroring feature is used to keep the databases of production CommServe and the standby CommServe in synchronized state. 

Posted: 01-03-2014, 10:35 AM
    • Ali is not online. Last active: 07-03-2019, 12:32 PM Ali
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-05-2010

Hi J0rdan,

Yes, you'll need to configure second building's Meida Agents to see the CIFS, locally presented drives are better of course, next configure the Media Agents to see these paths, and create magnetic libraries.  Next you could create either a Global DeDupe Policy, and then create Synchronous or Selective copies (depending on your restore requirements) within the existing Policies and point to this new Global DeDupe Policy which should be pointing to the second buildings Media Agents.

Suggested dedupe as you have some advantages with space management, and extending restore points.  You could create non-dedupe copies as well and just point to these new MAs.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy