MB to Free on Data Retention Report

Last post 09-07-2010, 2:43 PM by mstruening. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • MB to Free on Data Retention Report
    Posted: 09-07-2010, 11:48 AM

This might be a dumb question, but what is the "MB to Free" column mean on the reports?

I have run out of space on my storage target for backups, so I ran the Data Retention Forecast and Compliance Report.  At the bottom it says "MB to Free" and it has about 400GB in that column.  What does that mean?

• Re: MB to Free on Data Retention Report
    Posted: 09-07-2010, 1:08 PM

I could be wrong but I am guessing megabytes.

CommVault Messaging Support
    Posted: 09-07-2010, 1:13 PM

That's exactly what it is for.  I'm more interested in what the actual meaning of "MB to free".  MB to free how/when?  I was kind of hoping it meant that it would free up that space that is in that column.  If that's what it means, I'd like to know when that space would become free.  I've already performed Data Aging and that space is still not free.

Posted: 09-07-2010, 2:43 PM

You may have other causes holding this data in place (Dedupe files still in use, Managed Disk Space, etc).  I would see if Managed Disk Space is in use and if so, disable it, then rerun Data Aging to see if that releases the space.  If you are using Deduplication, it may be reporting the expected space assuming the jobs are of the non-deduped size as well.

If you are out of space, Iw ould suggest focusing on the jobs themselves.  See what has a prune date in the past and find the reason the job has not pruned yet.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy