Archive stub deletion - does it purge maglib space?

Last post 03-03-2014, 8:41 AM by Pete Clements. 5 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Archive stub deletion - does it purge maglib space?
    Posted: 02-28-2014, 7:38 AM

Hello,

A quick question about stub deletion!

If a user deletes a message stub from Outlook, does the message get purged from the storage policy/maglib?

Similarly, when users are deleted, does their archive data get removed from the SP/Maglib too?

I imagine the same is true for when data exceeds it's retention settings on the SP.

I just wonder if the jobs actually get purged from the maglib, or if essentially once a message is archived, it remains on disk until the end of time!

Cheers

Pete

• Re: Archive stub deletion - does it purge maglib space?
    Posted: 02-28-2014, 2:28 PM
    • Ali is not online. Last active: 07-03-2019, 12:32 PM Ali
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-05-2010

Hello Pete,

Jobs on disk will be retained per the retention of the copy in question.  For data on the server, if you prune/delete jobs on the server, there won't be an operation which goes back to the disk and remove that data from within the backup itself, again its retained per the retention times on the copy, if thats what you're asking.

Posted: 02-28-2014, 2:42 PM

Thanks Ali.

I think this may answer my question. Unless the job has aged, the data will be retained by the SP on disk/tape.

What I was asking was, if a user deletes a lot of archived stubs from their mailbox, or if a lot of users are removed from Exchange, will that data still be retained in the SP, or will that space get purged.

Otherwise, if your archive has unlimited retention, anything that gets put in to the archive gets stored for ever. Even if the user no longer exists within the system.

I guess I can see why that is preferable, because if a user was deleted by accident, or a user deleted all their archive data from Outlook, and CV purged it from the storage policy, you'd not be able to restore it if needed as that data woudln't be in the backup data.

Does the above make sense?!
    Pete

Posted: 02-28-2014, 3:09 PM

Hi Pete,

There is an option in subclient properties that may be useful here.  On the "Media Pruning" subtab (located under the Retention tab) there is an option "During synthetic full, prune items from the archive" which you can set to "If deleted on source".  Here is a link for more information on this option: Configure Retention Options for Messages on the Secondary Storage.

Posted: 02-28-2014, 3:10 PM
    • Ali is not online. Last active: 07-03-2019, 12:32 PM Ali
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-05-2010

You're right Pete.

Same for File System like data, say on a Windows machine a file/folder was removed/overwritten, you could still restore it from the backup, no 'mirror-like' relationship with the backup data.  Unless you have a replication agent, then there could be impact.

Posted: 03-03-2014, 8:41 AM

Thanks for confirming that Ali.

And thanks to jjbiv too for the mention of the media pruning. I did see that on a screen shot somewhere on BOL, but wasn't able to find the article jjbiv posted.

Thanks to you both.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy