Persistent recovery job locks tape drive

Last post 03-12-2014, 5:04 AM by AndrewDu. 1 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Persistent recovery job locks tape drive
    Posted: 03-12-2014, 4:59 AM

The data archiving "Persistent Recovery" job, once started, runs effectively for ever.

Actually it will stop after 24 hours by default, but this is configurable only by doing a registry hack on the CLIENT machines (correct me if I'm wrong here) which is pretty unhelpful.

However, if the persistent recovery job needs to get something from a tape, as sometimes happens, it loads the tape into the drive and then keeps a lock on the drive indefinitely - unless I kill the Persistent Recovery job, which is a manual intervention I don't want to have to make on a regular basis.

The result is that my Aux Copy jobs, trying to use the same tape drive, get pre-empted and never restart. Clearly I don't want the Persistent Recovery job to wait for the Aux Copy to finish, since that might take hours or even days, and a user is waiting for the recovery; so fiddling with job priorities is not going to fix this.

Is there a way to get the Persistent Recovery job to gracefully surrender the tape drive once it's finished using it, so that my normal backups can continue?

• Re: Persistent recovery job locks tape drive
    Posted: 03-12-2014, 5:04 AM

Update - I have discovered that this is not the default behaviour. In fact the Persistent Recovery job DOES surrender the tape drive once it has finished using it. I was being impatient.

But I can't delete the post above due to a program error on the web site.

Moderators? Can you remove it? Thanks.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy