Replicated disk library using Dell DR4100

Last post 03-19-2014, 11:52 AM by jjbiv. 1 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Replicated disk library using Dell DR4100
    Posted: 03-17-2014, 10:15 PM

I am currently setting up an environement in which I need to back up data at remote locations to a backup to disk appliance (Dell DR4100). The DR4100 appliances are local to each site. I must then replicate that data to another Dell DR4100 located at the primary site in order to perform aux copies of that data to tape. I will need to be able to employ a "many to one" replication strategy in that the primary location will have 5 mount points on the DR4100 each corresponding to the various remote sites. The DR4100 has native replication capabilities built into the appliance. If I setup a replicated libray in Commvault, will data be replicated at the hardware level ie between DR4100 appliances or will data be replicated via the Commvault software which will in turn send ALL backup data over the WAN? I really want Commvault to be able to use the native hardware replication features of the DR4100 as that will only send deduplicated data across the WAN, otherwise I may never be able to meet my SLA for replicating backups to my primary site.  

• Re: Replicated disk library using Dell DR4100
    Posted: 03-19-2014, 11:52 AM

A replicated library relies on replication tools outside of CommVault to perform the replication.  CommVault is a client of that replication process and simply looks to read data from the hardware replication destination if local access is needed.  It sounds like you might be looking for DASH copy, which is a CommVault feature that will copy data across the WAN in a deduplication-aware and optimized fashion.  DASH copy does not rely on the underlying hardware's replication abilities -- it is strictly software-based replication.  You do need to be using CommVault deduplication to use DASH copy.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy