One Pass - Delete

Last post 04-04-2014, 7:32 PM by Ben-G. 5 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • One Pass - Delete
    Posted: 03-27-2014, 12:17 PM

We are hoping to use One Pass to archive files that are more than a few years old. Once the archived files have remained on the archive for a further year or so we want to delete the files perminaently. This is to comply with data protection laws.

We don't want to have to manually prune the data. We just want a job to run that deletes all files that have been in the archive for a certain period of time.

Can One Pass do this? if so, how do we set this up?

Thanks!

• Re: One Pass - Delete
    Posted: 03-28-2014, 1:12 PM
    • efg is not online. Last active: 07-10-2019, 6:47 PM efg
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-02-2010
    • CommVault Tinton Falls NJ
    • Expert
    • Points 1,665

Yes, with the One-Pass subclient, once one-pass is enabled, go to the "Disk Cleanup" tab.  There you will find the archiving rules.  At the bottom of the window is an option to either "stub" the files or delete them outright.  Then on the next tab called "Retention" there is an option for pruning the items from the archive after a set period of days.

From the "Disk Cleanup" tab:

From the "Retention" tab:

Ernst F. Graeler
    Senior Engineer III
    Development
    Posted: 04-02-2014, 3:49 AM

We want to replace the file with a stub and then after a further few years, delete the stub and file that's in the archive.

We can't just let the archived data age by setting the retention for a few years as the data will only be deleted from the disk when it needs the space.

We need the data totally deleted from the archive disk a few years after it's been archived. This is to comply with data protection laws.

Posted: 04-04-2014, 8:05 AM

I in the same situation here, infact I just created a new thread to setup a tiered archiving retention with disk and tape storage with different retention.

I have also noticed in BOL, there is this section on "honor archiver agent retention" which looks likea possible way to solve the situation.  but I cannot find the setting on the console interface even with SP6 installed.

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v10/article?p=products/fs_archive_bluearc/help/subclient_retention.htm 

any idea how to go about this?

thanks

Posted: 04-04-2014, 2:24 PM

Ben-G, that option requires a setting to be enabled before it will show up.  The required information is not currently available in Books Online, i think you can call into Support to request help in setting itup. 

Wearer of Many Hats
    Posted: 04-04-2014, 7:32 PM

Hi,

Can you give us more information on how this option work?  I would like to know if this option allows the archivied data to be pruned according to differnt storage tier's retention and it is able to do so automatically without requiring user to delete the stub files.

thanks

Ben-G

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy