CDR on a VM File Server

Last post 09-20-2010, 12:29 PM by Vincenzo_Basolino. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • CDR on a VM File Server
    Posted: 09-14-2010, 12:32 AM

I have a file server that's having all sorts of issues with traditional backup - due to the size of the data and the small amount of bandwidth i have to use to back it up.  I usually try for sythetic full backups but that's been failing quite a bit or running overtime. its about 40gb of data and a 4mb link (bdsl i think)

The file server in question is a VM configured with 3 drives - System ,data and VSS. 

To install CDR i'd be best off to create a fourth drive and install cdr on that to monitor the data drive right?...

Do i need any other commvault software on it? like the files agent as well?

• Re: CDR on a VM File Server
    Posted: 09-14-2010, 10:55 AM

A more lightweight solution like DDR might be a better option here.  This will allow you to function with the volumes present on the machine to minimize the impact both from the hardware resource aspect and machine/link as a whole

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/release_8_0_0/books_online_1/english_us/features/ddr/ddr.htm

Posted: 09-20-2010, 12:44 AM

Ok - i've set up and experimented with CDR .  

Continuous replication works ok - updates the target end every 15 minutes or 5mb i think and seems to work ok.

When i change the replication pair to a backup copy I couldn't really make sense of what was  going on. Sometimes the logs on the target were 5 ahead of the source.  Can someone explain the steps the backup version of cdr uses?

It looks like it stays static to me until you either schedule a checkpoint or backup and then it updates the target. Basically like a synthetic full right?

Posted: 09-20-2010, 12:29 PM

DDR will use its own journal based on the USNs within windows change journal.  When you run the job it knows the starting point based on the last USN. 

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy