File archiving behaviour in Simpana 10

Last post 04-04-2014, 11:28 AM by Ben-G. 2 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • File archiving behaviour in Simpana 10
    Posted: 04-04-2014, 6:12 AM

Hi,

I have a customer who just purchased Simpana 10 to archive files from Windows file server. Simpana wil be used for archiving only, as the backu portion is taken care by their exisitng CA software. 

Customer's requirement is pretty straigfht forward:

- Customer has a windows file server (cluster setup) that they want to archive the file out of it to a 2nd tier storage.

- The archive storage device consist of NetApp storage and an LTO4 tape autoloader.

- The core archiving criteria is to archive any file that is last modified more than 2 years (730 days) ago to the disk storage and aux copy to tape media.

- Stub file is created during the archiving process to maintain user access transparency.

- The archived file will stay on disk storage for 2 years (730 days) and on tape media for 7 years.  The archived copy on each archive storage tier is to be pruned (aged / purged) off after its respective retention period is over. 

But when I look at Simpana 10's one pass agent configuration I noticed there seem to be a problem:

- one pass agent runs synthertic full in order to purge off older archiving jobs.  however in the process it also rolls up the old archived files into the latest synthetic full job, thereby causing the data stays in the archive storage forever, despite the retention is over.

- one pass agent does not clean up stub, unlike in classic file archving agent.  thus the only way to get data pruned off from archived storage is to manually remove stub files to trigger the file from being dropped from the later synthetic full cycle.

is there anyway I can do with Sipana 10's one pass agent to achieve what customer want? or I have to go back to Simpana 9?

thanks

Ben

• Re: File archiving behaviour in Simpana 10
    Posted: 04-04-2014, 11:08 AM
    • Ali is not online. Last active: 07-03-2019, 12:32 PM Ali
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-05-2010

Hi Ben,

If you have this runing in a lab setup, there is a retention tab on the sublclient properties which I believe is what you're looking for, there you can specify additional retention parameters.

• Re: File archiving behaviour in Simpana 10
    Posted: 04-04-2014, 11:28 AM
    Hi Ali, thanks for your reply. I have checked the setting under retention tab. The first settings defines when to prune archived file from backed storage after user delete the stub, which is manual work. The second option defines when to prune archived file from backed storage after system deleted the file, which only works when no stub is created during the archive process. What the customer need is create stub during archive job, and automatically remove the data from respective tier storage after the retention period. The retention for disk copy and tape copy is different. In previous version, stub is removed by CV after the last archive copy expires.
The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy