I have a customer who just purchased Simpana 10 to archive files from Windows file server. Simpana wil be used for archiving only, as the backu portion is taken care by their exisitng CA software.
Customer's requirement is pretty straigfht forward:
- Customer has a windows file server (cluster setup) that they want to archive the file out of it to a 2nd tier storage.
- The archive storage device consist of NetApp storage and an LTO4 tape autoloader.
- The core archiving criteria is to archive any file that is last modified more than 2 years (730 days) ago to the disk storage and aux copy to tape media.
- Stub file is created during the archiving process to maintain user access transparency.
- The archived file will stay on disk storage for 2 years (730 days) and on tape media for 7 years. The archived copy on each archive storage tier is to be pruned (aged / purged) off after its respective retention period is over.
But when I look at Simpana 10's one pass agent configuration I noticed there seem to be a problem:
- one pass agent runs synthertic full in order to purge off older archiving jobs. however in the process it also rolls up the old archived files into the latest synthetic full job, thereby causing the data stays in the archive storage forever, despite the retention is over.
- one pass agent does not clean up stub, unlike in classic file archving agent. thus the only way to get data pruned off from archived storage is to manually remove stub files to trigger the file from being dropped from the later synthetic full cycle.
is there anyway I can do with Sipana 10's one pass agent to achieve what customer want? or I have to go back to Simpana 9?