Best practice for replication between sites

Last post 05-02-2014, 10:55 AM by Ali. 7 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Best practice for replication between sites
    Posted: 04-25-2014, 5:08 AM

Hi

We have a CommServe with MediaAgent and local disk storage in 2 seperate data centers and would like to replicate critical backup data between them for DR purposes. We have a high-speed link between DCs so bandwidth is not a problem.

What is the best way to go about this?

Using Aux Copy or Dash copy? Do we need to install/register extra media agents at each site or should we just mount a remote CIFS share as an extra path on each media agent?

Thanks

• Re: Best practice for replication between sites
    Posted: 04-25-2014, 7:02 AM

My 5 cents:

First of all, I assume you have a CLA license, so you have a license for Deduplication (DASH Copy). Deduplication is not required by the bandwidth. But how about the amount of disk storage for the backup target? Is it sufficient if you do not use deduplication?

There are no extra MediaAgents needed, if the hardware of the MediaAgents you are using now, is sufficient for the total amount of data you want to backup (I miss a piece of information here). For deduplication, normally you have a dedicated disk however for the Dedup database (not necessary if the total amount data is small).

I'm interested to hear if from a technical point of view, there is any difference (advantage) between a remote CIFS share as a backup path for the Aux Copy, or a backup that goes from MA1 via MA2 in the remote site to the backup target for the Aux Copy. Perhaps using tow MediaAgents is better, so if one location goes down, the remote MediaAgent has access to the Aux Copy.  If the bandwidth between the locations is equal to the bandwidth within each location, you could even consider a Parallel / Inline Copy.

Posted: 04-25-2014, 10:01 AM

The replicated data would be at least a few TB.

So would it be best to perhaps set the bAllowMultiInstances registry key and install another MediaAgent instance on each CommServe but register it to the other to allow the AuxCopy between MAs?

Posted: 04-25-2014, 10:13 AM

No. Just 1 MediaAgent instance per server is enough. One MediaAgent at datacenter 1 and one MediaAgent at datacenter 2. Create two disk libraries (one at each location) and use the local MediaAgent for each disk library.

Posted: 04-25-2014, 11:23 AM
    • Ali is not online. Last active: 07-03-2019, 12:32 PM Ali
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-05-2010

Hi Linden,

DASH is ideal use case for this, and Capacity based won't come into play as its a secondary copy, only Primary copy data will count towards Capacity.  Also go with 2 MAs which will give you the ability to restore if MA 1 is down, making your DR plan usable.

Also please ignore that key, its for a specific use case, outside of the scope of your requirement here.

If i'm reading you right, are you saying your DR site has another CommServe or are you planning to have 2 CommServes' altogether in this setup, if not, the above should work.

Posted: 04-25-2014, 9:36 PM

Hi Ali,

We only have a single server (CommServe/MediaAgent) at each site - hence why I was thinking I need to make use of that key in order to use a second MA on each CommServe.

However it does seem a little hack-ish so I best confirm, as I would of thought its a fairly common setup.

Posted: 05-02-2014, 8:48 AM

Hi guys, just bumping this to see what the recommended setup would be?

Thanks

Posted: 05-02-2014, 10:55 AM
    • Ali is not online. Last active: 07-03-2019, 12:32 PM Ali
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-05-2010

Hi Linden,

Yes that would work theoritically, and shouldn't really have an issue, except the resource contention over all.  Only other thing to consider is where you will place the DDB, again a resource consideration, if the drives are 'taxed' that will compound.

Would say give it a test, a few jobs or so, and see how it goes.  Key is the only way to accomplish that due to the limited machines you have, best to stand up a new MA on each end to dedicate it for DR purposes.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy