Mail Box size didn't reduce after mail archiving

Last post 05-14-2014, 4:41 PM by janc. 13 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mail Box size didn't reduce after mail archiving
    Posted: 05-12-2014, 8:41 AM

Hi All ..

I have configured some mail box and set the role as 1 MB & 180 days. i archived one of the mail box which the size of it was almost full. After archiving the mail box size didn't reduce even 1 KB. 

What would be the reason?

Note: The outlook add-in already installed at the client.

Version:10 SP6

• Re: Mail Box size didn't reduce after mail archiving
    Posted: 05-12-2014, 8:43 AM

Did you make sure that the job found messages that qualified for archiving in this mailbox and that they were successfully stubbed ?

Wearer of Many Hats
    Posted: 05-12-2014, 9:07 AM

Yes. Because i went to the user and i opened some emails which are more then 1 MB and I can see the mail is calling to download the message. 

Posted: 05-14-2014, 11:09 AM

Can you share the archiving options you have chosen (from the properties of the subclient, Message Rules tab)? Specifically I am looking to see your selections as far as 'Leave message body in the stub' and 'Collect only messages containing attachments'.

WW Support Expertise Team
    Posted: 05-14-2014, 3:51 PM

screen shot are attached

Posted: 05-14-2014, 3:57 PM

Thank you for providing those screenshots. If you use the option 'Leave message body in the stub', it is recommended to also use the 'collect only messages containing attachments' option. This configuration would leave the message body viewable without recalling the message, but would only archive messages that have an attachment. If you have the 'leave message body in the stub' option enabled, and archive a message that has no attachments, you will not see a size reduction as there is not really any data being removed from the mailbox (as we are leaving the message body behind). In fact, in that scenario you can see the message size increase as we are adding metadata (stub identifier, etc) to the message. 

Please let me know if you have any questions, or if any further clafication is needed.

Posted: 05-14-2014, 4:07 PM

Dear Janc ..

I have enabled the 'collect only messages containing attachments' option. will re-test the archiving and will update you. thanks for your support ..

Posted: 05-14-2014, 4:10 PM

Thank you for the update. Keep in mind this will only archive messages that have an attachment. If you wish to archive all messages (even those without attachments), we would recommend disabling the 'leave message body behind' and 'archive only messages with attachments' options. This would mean, however, that users would not be able to see the body of the email until they trigger a recall or a preview of the item.

Posted: 05-14-2014, 4:17 PM

The requirement is the mails which are older then 180 days and more then 1MB should be archived and the user can see the body of the message. The user should see all the message body evenolder then 3 years back

i don't want to archive the message body, I just want to archive the attachments ..

Hope the advised options will not archive the message body ..?!

Posted: 05-14-2014, 4:20 PM

Understood. In this case, if you select the option 'Leave message body in the stub' and 'Collect only messages containing attachments', the message body will remain in the email, and only messages containing attachments will be archived.

Posted: 05-14-2014, 4:26 PM

when you say " and only messages containing attachments will be archived." Is that mean the whole message body won't be viewable by the user and the user must login to the webconsole to download it? or the message body would be there and the archive recovery job will start once the user double click the message .. ?!!

Posted: 05-14-2014, 4:30 PM

The message body will be viewable as long as you have the 'Leave message body in the stub' option. So for example, you have options 'Leave message body in the stub' and 'Collect only messages with attachments' options select and run an archive job. The message body will be viewable for messages with and without attachments. If a user highlights a message with an attachment, they will still see the message body, however would need to trigger a recall in order to view the attachments.

Let me know if any further clarification is needed.

Posted: 05-14-2014, 4:36 PM

cleared. However the recall trigger would trigger automaticlly correct as long the outlook addin is configured at the client end ..

Posted: 05-14-2014, 4:41 PM

Correct - the recovery should trigger automatically if they double-click the message. 

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy