Simpana 8 AD IDA client backups working but 2008R2 server warning Directory not back up.

Last post 09-23-2010, 3:46 PM by Vincenzo_Basolino. 13 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Simpana 8 AD IDA client backups working but 2008R2 server warning Directory not back up.
    Posted: 09-22-2010, 11:27 AM

My Commvault is backing up AD but the AD controller is complaining it has not been backed up.
    Are DNS forrest zones not included in the AD backup?
    What do I need to do to get this thing to quit complaining?
    Did I miss a step or some config setting?

Log Name:      Directory Service
    Source:        Microsoft-Windows-ActiveDirectory_DomainService
    Date:          9/21/2010 8:16:56 AM
    Event ID:      2089
    Task Category: Backup
    Level:         Warning
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          ANONYMOUS LOGON
    Computer:      ??????.ci.janesville.wi.us
    Description:
    This directory partition has not been backed up since at least the following number of days.

Directory partition:
    DC=ForestDnsZones,DC=ci,DC=???????,DC=??,DC=us

'Backup latency interval' (days):

• Re: Simpana 8 AD IDA client backups working but 2008R2 server warning Directory not back up.
    Posted: 09-22-2010, 1:57 PM

IF you perform a system state backup it will register with windows.  System state should be used in conjunction with AD iDA so you have full AD recovery (from system state) and AD iDA for granular recoveries.

• Re: Simpana 8 AD IDA client backups working but 2008R2 server warning Directory not back up.
    Posted: 09-22-2010, 2:27 PM

Vincenzo,
    SO in addition to my Commvault Simpana 8.0 Avtive directory backup I am now doing I need to do a backup using something like MSbackup to get the system state and be able to recover my AD in the event of a disaster?

Am I understanding what you are saying correctly?

Thanks for the reply

Posted: 09-22-2010, 2:39 PM

In order to fully protect your domain controller, you should be performing convention backups using the windows file system agent (which will backup the file system and system state) along with using the AD iDA to backup and recover AD objects on a granular level. 

In the event your machine fails, and it needs to be rebuilt, AD iDA is not sufficient to perform this action.  A full iDA restore using file system and system state will be required to bring this machine back up.

IF someone goes into AD and deletes an OU, the AD iDA is useful to recover that OU and its associated object.

Posted: 09-22-2010, 2:41 PM

Hello Toddah,

The active directory agent provides a feature set above what a system state backup can provide. The Active Directory iDataAgent is designed to give granular backup and restore of individual Active Directory attributes.

Example: Someone deletes an OU, instead of performing a system state restore to recover you can leverage to AD agent and quickly bring the OU back.

For a full system recovery you will want to have a system state backup to restore as it contains the following important components:

• System File Protection catalog and files
    • Performance monitor configuration files
    • Active Directory
    • Quotas
    • SYSVOL (if this is a domain controller)
    • Certificate Services database (if this is a certificate server)
    • Cluster database (if this server is part of a cluster)
    • Registry
    • COM+ database
    • DHCP
    • WINS
    • IIS
    • UDDI (only with Windows Server 2003 using VSS)
    • Disk quota information
    • Event logs
    • RSM database
    • WMI database
    • Terminal Server Licensing database
    • Content Indexing catalogs
    • Network Policy Server (NPS)
    Posted: 09-22-2010, 2:47 PM

Ok so I am doing a Weekly (Friday) Full Windows IDA file system backup of all disk content on all drives as well as doing the AD IDA backup. weeknights I do an incremental of all disk systems.
    So I then have everything I need to recover plus I an do granular restorations from the AD backups in the event of an issue?

Posted: 09-22-2010, 3:33 PM

Yes.

As long as you're backup the system state you should be fine in a full recover scenario. Chances are you won't really leverage the AD agent in a full DR as the system state restore is going to bring back everything.

A scenario I could see where you would need to use the AD agent post system state restore is if you make changes after the last system state backup that were captured with the AD agent backup.

Posted: 09-22-2010, 4:02 PM

Sorry if I am being a bit slow here but I want to be sure I understand.

Is there a "system state" option in the file_IDA client or Windows file_IDA or in some other Simpana module I have to be sure is turned on?

Or

Do I need to be doing a seperate "system state" backup job within Simpana 8?

Or

Do I need to be doing a manual System State backup outside of the Simpana 8.0 software environment?

Thanks for helping me understand this, I thought I was covered with what I had setup until this AD controller started complaining about some portions of AD not being back up in the last 30 days.

Posted: 09-22-2010, 4:51 PM

Toddah, please bring on the questions! It's why we wanted to start the forums - to ask questions and discuss topics such as this one Laughing

Is there a "system state" option in the file_IDA client or Windows file_IDA or in some other Simpana module I have to be sure is turned on?

Yes! The option is checked by default on the subclient of the Windows File System Agent

Do I need to be doing a seperate "system state" backup job within Simpana 8?

As long as the "backup system state" option is checked it will be included within the backup job for that subclient.

Do I need to be doing a manual System State backup outside of the Simpana 8.0 software environment?

No. The Windows File System agent provides you with this level of coverage.

Posted: 09-22-2010, 4:59 PM

and to follow up...

you can run a job summary report and look for jobid's that contain "*s"- those are the jobs where the system state was included with the backup.

ADV80-CS Win FS /
    N/A
    defaultBackupSet/
    64880* S
    (C)
    INCR
    Posted: 09-23-2010, 8:54 AM

Actually, after I posted my question last night I did plug around and found the checkbox and was VERY relieved to find I had been doing system saves all along!

Now I am back to my original issue of how do I tell AD that the Simpana is doing these backups and to quit putting log entries in stating it has not been backed up?

Posted: 09-23-2010, 2:58 PM

Can you post the error from windows event viewer?

Posted: 09-23-2010, 3:36 PM

It was listed in my first post in this topic. I sanitized it a little but the just of the message is there.

Thanks for the help

Todd

Posted: 09-23-2010, 3:46 PM
    I found an article on the web with a similar issue and believe this will resolve teh issue.
    Ensure that the logon account being used to backup the system state is part of the "Domain Admins" group in Active Directory. If the logon account is member of several groups then ensure that no kind of deny permission is getting applied on it. If the account is already a member of the "Domain Admins" group and still "Active Directory" component is not visible under the System State resource, add the Account in "Backup Operators" Group on the server .
    Also if you browse the backup data do you see the AD component under system state.
The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy