Is CDR right for me

Last post 05-29-2014, 11:09 AM by jjbiv. 6 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Is CDR right for me
    Posted: 05-27-2014, 12:15 PM

We have a number of Windows files shares that we back up once per day. Our problem is if someone creates a for example word document after the backup has run and then deletes that word file before the next backup runs it can not be restored. I am wondering if CDR would be a good fit for us. I don't want to run incremental backups every hour because these volumes are 2 TB in size and the scan takes over an hour to complete.

Does the replication server have to at least be the same size as the source? That is not an option either because we don't have the space.

• Re: Is CDR right for me
    Posted: 05-27-2014, 1:35 PM

Jeff,  the first problem is if there isnt enough space, how would you keep all the data + the deleted files? 

Other than that it sounds like CDR would work. 

Posted: 05-27-2014, 1:38 PM

That's one question I am asking does the CDR server only need enough space for the changes? Or does it have to be the same size as the source server and then additional space for the changes too?

Posted: 05-27-2014, 2:29 PM
    • Ali is not online. Last active: 07-03-2019, 12:32 PM Ali
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-05-2010

Hi Jeff, yes, destination side should have to accomodate for the growth, as there are 3 types of recovery points.  More on this here in case you haven't come accross it:

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v10/article?p=features/recovery_points/recovery_points.htm

Posted: 05-27-2014, 2:37 PM

Thanks for the input. This option is not really right for us since we would have to have an exact replica of the data and then also some additional storage for the changes. We would be better off running incrementals 4 or 5 times a day.

Posted: 05-28-2014, 3:39 PM
    • Ali is not online. Last active: 07-03-2019, 12:32 PM Ali
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-05-2010

I'm sharing that sentiment with you, also you could try Intellisnap, if you have the storage, however if the change of rate is 'expected/suspected' to be that fast, frequent INCs would most likely be your best option.

Posted: 05-29-2014, 11:09 AM

If a slow scan time is making more frequent incremental backups a poor option, you could look at the optimized scan method in v.10 (formerly known as data classification in v.9).  This should make the scan phase a snap.

You could also setup semi-frequent local shadow copies of the file server data volumes to protect files changed during the day.  These take very little space since they are copy-on-write snapshots.  End users can access the contents of these shadow copies themselves via the "Previous Versions" tab of objects on the file share.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy