Pushing subclient setting to ClientGroup

Last post 06-20-2017, 10:44 AM by Anant. 8 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Pushing subclient setting to ClientGroup
    Posted: 05-28-2014, 12:40 PM

Hi folks, I'll begin by admitting I am in the absolute beginning learning phase of understanding xml and utilizing workflow.

I would like to push a change (in this case softwareCompression USE_STORAGE_POLICY) out to all subclients within a clientGroup (or even Globally).

I've tried messing around with the update_subclient_template.xml (http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v10/article?p=products/active_directory/cli_config.htm). I have no problem executing this through Cmd (on an individual line per subclient) but I can't figure out how to execute this change on a clientGroup or global level. Perferably to all agent (app) types.

I'm confident it's a simple thing, but with my utter lack of knowledge I'm not sure how to approach it.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, whether that's a solution or simply a good learning resource so that I can find it myself.

Thanks!

----------UPDATED 6/11 WITH FINAL SOLUTION ---------

Using XML we are able to accomplish the task pretty simply. It's already there, we just need the xml to use it.

This is the command that will be run where -af is whatever you name the .xml below.

qoperation execute -af <Path of update_subclient.xml> -clientGroupName 'groupName' -softwareCompression USE_STORAGE_POLICY_SETTINGS

This is an example of the .xml. You can of course modify the commonProperties to include any qoperation command needed. The "Update_subclient_template.xml" found at http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v10/article?p=products/windows/cli_config.htm

can easily be modified with the clientGroupName tag to accomodate any updates.

update_subclient.xml
    <App_UpdateSubClientPropertiesRequest>
                    <association>
                                    <entity>
                                                    <clientGroupName />
                                    </entity>
                    </association>
                    <subClientProperties>
                    <commonProperties>
                                    <storageDevice>
                                                    <softwareCompression/>
                                    </storageDevice>
                    </commonProperties>
                    </subClientProperties>
    </App_UpdateSubClientPropertiesRequest>    

• Re: Pushing subclient setting to ClientGroup
    Posted: 05-29-2014, 3:29 PM
    Posted: 05-29-2014, 3:36 PM

That's perfect and will absolutely work for this instance. Thank you.

Posted: 05-29-2014, 4:00 PM

So, I attempted to run the command as described on that page.

qoperation execscript -sn QS_AppSetOverrideSPcompression -si 'enable' -si 'cg=NameofClientGroup'

According to the document leaving out any other variables should cause any subclient in the client group to enable Use Storage Policy for Software Compression. However, I went in and changed 2 file system subClients to On Media and after running the command nothing changed. If I went so far as to define the appname and subclient specifically it worked fine.

Any thoughts?

Thanks again.

Posted: 05-29-2014, 4:12 PM

I think a log gets generated in the log files folder for the script.  See if there are any issues. 

Posted: 05-29-2014, 4:13 PM
    • Ali is not online. Last active: 07-03-2019, 12:32 PM Ali
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-05-2010

Its the qcommand.log on the CS machine. What happend TSG when the first command was run?

Posted: 05-29-2014, 4:22 PM

Here's the log output for the command above (with sensitive info censored):

4648  56c   05/29 15:52:39 ### QSDKInitializeWithLoginFlag() - CommServer Host Name from Registry:[CENSORED]
    4648  56c   05/29 15:52:39 ### CommServer client Name:[CENSORED] from Registry
    4648  56c   05/29 15:52:39 ### QSDKInitializeWithLoginFlag() - Login with csClientName:[CENSORED]
    4648  56c   05/29 15:52:39 ### GetQSDKCSSessionsFilePath()() - GetQSDKCSSessionsFilePath():QSDK Session File Path: C:\Program Files\CommVault\Simpana\qsessions.CENSORED
    4648  56c   05/29 15:52:40 ### Cvcl::init() - CVCL: Running in FIPS Mode
    4648  56c   05/29 15:52:40 ### Sending commandline request [GalaxyOperations_QExecuteScriptReqMsg] to QSDK Server
    4648  56c   05/29 15:52:41 ### Received response [GalaxyOperations_QExecuteScriptRespMsg] from QSDK Server
    4648  56c   05/29 15:52:41 ### qoperation execscript returned with error code:0
    4548  25f4  05/29 15:55:50 ### Command Line Parameters: qoperation execscript -sn QS_AppSetOverrideSPcompression -si 'enable' -si 'cg=CENSORED'
    4548  25f4  05/29 15:55:50 ### QSDKInitializeWithLoginFlag() - loginFlag:[false],QInitializeParameters:[

Posted: 06-20-2017, 7:16 AM

Tried to modify modify_subclient_template.xml as described in first post and got error in log.

There is my modify_subclient_template.xml:

<association>
    <entity>
    <clientGroupName />
    <appName>SQL Server</appName>
    <subclient />
    </entity>
    </association>
    <subClientProperties>
    <commonProperties>
    <enableBackup />
    <encryptionFlag />
    <readBuffersize />
    <storageDevice>
    <networkAgents />
    <softwareCompression />
    <throttleNetworkBandwidth />
    <dataBackupStoragePolicy>
    <storagePolicyName />
    </dataBackupStoragePolicy>
    <logBackupStoragePolicy>
    <storagePolicyName />
    </logBackupStoragePolicy>
    <deDuplicationOptions>
    <enableDeduplication />
    <generateSignature />
    </deDuplicationOptions>
    </storageDevice>
    </commonProperties>
    <mssqlSubClientProp>
    <backupRules />
    <bufferCount />
    <maxTransferSize />
    <numberOfBackupStreams />
    <numberOfTransactionLogStreams />
    <runPostBackup />
    </mssqlSubClientProp>
    </subClientProperties>
    And there is the command:
    qoperation execute -af modify_subclient_template.xml -clientGroupName test -appName 'SQL Server' -subclientName default -networkagents 4 -softwareCompression on_mediaagent
    And there is cmd response:
    <App_UpdateSubClientPropertiesResponse>

<response>
    <entity>
    <type>GALAXY</type>
    <consumeLicense>true</consumeLicense>
    <clientSidePackage>true</clientSidePackage>
    </entity>
    <errorString>DB error: please refer to logs for more details.</errorString>
    <errorCode>1</errorCode>
    </response>

</App_UpdateSubClientPropertiesResponse>
    And qcommand log message:
    11032 4dc4  06/20 14:15:42 ### Command Line Parameters: qoperation execute -af modify_subclient_template.xml -clientGroupName test -appName 'SQL Server' -subclientName default -networkagents 4 -softwareCompression on_mediaagent 
    11032 4dc4 06/20 14:15:42 ### CCvNetwork::SetIgnoreAntiChatterFlag() - Session/nChatterFlag is being ignored on this process.
    11032 4dc4 06/20 14:15:42 ### Input File[modify_subclient_template.xml]
    11032 4dc4 06/20 14:15:42 ### QSDKInitializeWithLoginFlag() - Registry nEnablePreInstallQCMD is not present and trying to talk to same CS. So setting enable pre install mode: [0]
    11032 4dc4 06/20 14:15:42 ### Cvcl::init() - CVCL: Running in FIPS Mode
    11032 4dc4 06/20 14:15:43 ### qoperation execute returned with error code:1

Anything i missed?
    Posted: 06-20-2017, 10:44 AM
    Hi,

Commandline has clientGroupName, appName, subclientName. Input xml has elements <appName>SQL Server</appName> and <subclient />. Commandline cannot set subclient properties on only default mssql subclients of given client group. It failed.

qoperation execute -af modify_subclient_template.xml -clientGroupName test -appName 'SQL Server' -subclientName default -networkagents 4 -softwareCompression on_mediaagent

Commandline can set subclient properties on all subclients of all agents of given client group. Please try following commandline with modify_subclient_template.xml

qoperation execute -af modify_subclient_template.xml -clientGroupName test -networkagents 4 -softwareCompression on_mediaagent

modify_subclient_template.xml
    <association>
    <entity>
    <clientGroupName />
    </entity>
    </association>
    <subClientProperties>
    <commonProperties>
    <enableBackup />
    <encryptionFlag />
    <readBuffersize />
    <storageDevice>
    <networkAgents />
    <softwareCompression />
    <throttleNetworkBandwidth />
    <dataBackupStoragePolicy>
    <storagePolicyName />
    </dataBackupStoragePolicy>
    <logBackupStoragePolicy>
    <storagePolicyName />
    </logBackupStoragePolicy>
    <deDuplicationOptions>
    <enableDeduplication />
    <generateSignature />
    </deDuplicationOptions>
    </storageDevice>
    </commonProperties>
    <mssqlSubClientProp>
    <backupRules />
    <bufferCount />
    <maxTransferSize />
    <numberOfBackupStreams />
    <numberOfTransactionLogStreams />
    <runPostBackup />
    </mssqlSubClientProp>
    </subClientProperties>

Thanks,
    Anant

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy