Email list of tapes that retention has expired

Last post 09-30-2010, 3:12 PM by David Overton. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Email list of tapes that retention has expired
    Posted: 09-22-2010, 2:38 PM

We have a few offices that don't have IT staff but have regular staff who change tapes for us. I'm trying to figure out how I send a list of tapes that have there extended retention expired and can be reused.

They have very little technical skills so logining into the commserve is not an options.

• Re: Email list of tapes that retention has expired
    Posted: 09-22-2010, 2:55 PM

IPman,

Does the "scratch pool" report provide those details?  It will list all barcodes that are scratch by scratch pool, which should allow you to target the remote sites (assuming they are using their own library and/or scratch pool).

Posted: 09-22-2010, 3:08 PM

Can't seem to filter that report.

We have way to many entries from other media pools that might confuse them.

Posted: 09-23-2010, 1:39 PM

Don't know if this will work for you...  We have multiple tape libraries at different sites.  We also use a different location for each sites "offsite storage".  Normally we use vault tracking to keep track of the tapes for us.  It can give us a list of tapes to come out, and tapes to go in.

I was able to duplicate our "tapes due back" list by using the Media Information Report.

On the General Tab, I chose "Spare" tapes only.

For Libraries, chose only the library in question, and only selected the Media Location of "out".

we don't really have a media repository, left this tab alone.

For location, I chose our offsite location associated w/ that tape robot.

Storage Policies, I chose those associated w/ the tape robot.

I chose a time range of "No".

Maybe you can play with this?

Posted: 09-30-2010, 3:12 PM

I have also accomplished this by using a barcode scheme that was unique to each site. then at a glance when you look in the scratch pool you can send them a list of tapes to bring back. you can also keep track "in Vault tracker "what is leaving your environment.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy