Impressions of using Workflow

Last post 08-08-2014, 9:08 AM by TSGDataProtect. 2 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Impressions of using Workflow
    Posted: 06-03-2014, 8:09 AM

Hi All

Just looking at the Workflow engine and have to admit slightly bemused by it. What's the general feeling towards it's usage - positive/negative??

No problem putting in the work to try and figure it out but would like to get some feedback as to whether it would be time well spent or not. Also any recommendations as to where the best place to start would be. I've read through books online and tried to reverse engineer some of the examples to some degree of success but on the lookout for other learning material.

Much appreciation.

• Re: Impressions of using Workflow
    Posted: 08-01-2014, 10:50 AM
    • Ali is not online. Last active: 06-26-2019, 2:03 PM Ali
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-05-2010

Hi adm,

Personally feel this is a great way to add flexibility to enhance/automate business processes, and depends how you define positive or negative, agree the learning curve may be steep. 

• Re: Impressions of using Workflow
    Posted: 08-08-2014, 9:08 AM

I think Workflow's functionality is HIGHLY dependant on what you already know. It was perfect for me because I don't know any php and a lot of workflow's functionality is functions you would normally need php for. It allows you to create the while loop, for instance, without knowing how to setup a while loop.

I will say that without a reasonable understanding of SQL (at least basic Select scripts) you might have difficulty getting the most out of workflow. There are alot of scripts pre-built (through qcommands) but if you really want to customize things then you'll need to know SQL.

It also gives you a high level of control within the CommVault system for things like scheduling and automatic response to things occuring in CommVault (such as running a workflow automatically on event code using alerts).

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy