Replicating files/stubs to different volume on same server

Last post 06-19-2014, 4:49 PM by JoeC. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Replicating files/stubs to different volume on same server
    Posted: 06-17-2014, 3:53 PM

Greetings!  We are in the middle of a migration from an Equallogic to EMC VNX SAN.  I plan on mounting new volumes on our file servers that are hosted on the new SAN; I then need to get the files from the current volumes to the new ones.  Many of the files on our file servers have been stubbed and archived, so whatever process I go with has to avoid kicking off mass recalls.

I thought about using a tool such as xxopy but using CDR is my first choice because the cutover should in theory be very quick; just confirm the replication is up to date and modify the shared folders to point to the new locations.

I am curious if there are any gotchas, especially involving replication of stubs.  Anyone use CDR in such a situation?  Thanks in advance!

• Re: Replicating files/stubs to different volume on same server
    Posted: 06-19-2014, 9:48 AM

Good Day Joe,

To confirm your goal here is to get where the (stubbed archiver data is stored) from Library A to new Library B correct? And during this goal your concern is to not have the data recalled during the process?

If yes.

1) The best method to achieve moving the data would be with a Synchronous Auxiliary copy, this method will copy only the data ( and should not trigger recalls), Once all the data has been successfully copied from A to B you can promote that copy to be the new Primary Copy. The demoted copy can then be deleted. I highly recommned testing the promoted copy for recalls and data consistencty before doing any deletions though.

2) Alternatley if you already have a secondary copy of this data you could also use that copy to copy from using the same priniciples as above to get the data to the new disk target. This option is good becuase while the aux copy is running the users could still access freely the archived data will the aux copy runs.

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v10/article?p=features/storage_policy_copy/synchronous_copy.htm

Hope this helps,

SG1

Posted: 06-19-2014, 3:14 PM

Greetings!  Close, but I don't want to move the actual Commvault storage.  I want to move the data/files on the file server itself from lets say, disk F to disk G of my fileserver.

What you listed above seems to be the process for moving the actual commvault storage location.  If I'm mistaken please let me know!

Posted: 06-19-2014, 3:58 PM

CDR would work here. 

Posted: 06-19-2014, 4:49 PM

Thank you!

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy