self-create workflow, possible?

Last post 07-16-2014, 8:19 AM by garr_commvaultnewby. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • self-create workflow, possible?
    Posted: 07-11-2014, 2:35 PM

Hi everyone,

I am now trying to understand workflow, and seems it is the tool to direct functions to work together by relying on huge scripting.

Is it expected to be customized or created by user on their own, or waiting for service pack to include more flows and use them?

are there a lot of people create your own workflow? Please help recommend how can I make use of this feature, as role of backup administrator?

Thanks

• Re: self-create workflow, possible?
    Posted: 07-15-2014, 9:49 AM

Hi,

There are several demo workflows included in the software and there is also a video available on documentation site showing how to create a workflow. For simple workflows no scripting should be required. You should be able to create simple workflows on your own. There are some more workflows available on the commvault software store as well. If you are the commserver admin you will see a link called "Software Store" on the top right corner when you click on the "Workflows" node in the commcell console.

Posted: 07-15-2014, 9:51 AM

I've found workflows to be extremely useful for any task that I want to schedule and/or automate. Obviously most tasks can be done through SQL scripting but this saves me (more often than not) the headache of trying to find all of the associations.

Some very simple workflows that have saved me a lot of time (that I created) include:

-A workflow that runs against all of our auto-registered Laptop backup clients to change their default prune after delete (-retentionRule).

-A workflow that can go in to every subclient on the CommServe and change a specific setting (for instance we had to change every client's -softwareCompression).

-A workflow that kills a job based on it's ID which I have implemented in to our Alerts to quickly kill pending jobs that we KNOW will fail to save the time/processing. (You can run Workflows as a trigger to any Alert you have active).

My next step is creating Workflows that will take you step-by-step to create a new Subclient(s) and another that will take you step-by-step to activate a Restore job. These are both relatively simple in Workflow and if you have Cloud services installed you can actually run them from your web console. Meaning I can kick off a Restore or create a new subclient from my phone.

Posted: 07-16-2014, 8:19 AM

Hi All,

Thank you very much. I am trying to visit software store to explore more template available, and just make use of them.

Creating a new workflow is somehow troublesome, because we need to test it which may take times, and it may affect with existing client computers which are already in backup SLA.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy