Is it possible to run multiple Seeding workflows for a media agent simultaneously?

Last post 08-28-2014, 12:13 PM by JReynolds2791. 10 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Is it possible to run multiple Seeding workflows for a media agent simultaneously?
    Posted: 08-11-2014, 1:53 PM

I have a new remote site that will have three different storage policies.  I want to use the Seeding workflow for all three storage groups to different subfolders on the USB drive.  Is this doable?

• Re: Is it possible to run multiple Seeding workflows for a media agent simultaneously?
    Posted: 08-19-2014, 10:04 AM

JReynolds, If you plan on using Dash copy in V10 this is doable and I have provided links below for your review.  I have provided 2 ways to complete this, 1 is manual and the other is using work flow (as you requested)

Manually Seeding a Deduplicated Storage Policy

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v10/article?p=features/dedup_global/manualseedingprocess.htm

Seeding a Deduplicated Storage Policy (workflow method)

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v10/article?p=features/workflow/templates/seeding.htm

Thank You

• Re: Is it possible to run multiple Seeding workflows for a media agent simultaneously?
    Posted: 08-21-2014, 11:02 AM

Thanks!

Posted: 08-22-2014, 9:03 AM

I have been wondering about this too.  Currently I have been using the manually seeding process which has worked fine but I have got another 15 remote sites to seed into a DC so is it possible to use the work flow for this?

Posted: 08-22-2014, 10:12 AM

Yes.  You can run simultaneous instances.  If you are using multiple USB drives the key thing is to keep track of the drive lettering when they are connected to the media agent you are seeding to.

Posted: 08-22-2014, 10:29 AM

Yes would be using multiple USB devices, question regarding Workflow do you only require the following:-

media agent and library with GDP on remote site, media agent library with GDP on central site and USB disk to transport the data.  Reason I am asking as I am comparing it to the manual process which you have to creare temp media library and copy the cache DB over etc, does the work flow automatically process this in the background include copy the cache db over to the remote site.

Posted: 08-22-2014, 11:40 AM

It does all off that automatically.

Before running the workflowe I create the Storage Policies, define the subclients that point to them, attach the USB drive, and create a folder on the USB drive for the copy to go on.

Then I execute the workflow by typing in the path to the USB folder in the LibraryPath field, selecting the new Storage policy in the StoragePolicytoSeed dropdown box, and selecting the GDP of the server you want to seed to.  then hit OK and it does the rest.

I would recommend against running any backups before the seeding process as the workflow will run the backups as part of the process. 

Posted: 08-24-2014, 5:45 AM

That sounds alot more easy than the manual process.

So to recap.  If a create the storage policies on the remote site and define the subclients, attach the USB drive to the media agent, run the work flow by select the path the USB folder, the new storage policy and select the GDP in the data centre that is assoicated with the media library there.

Question regarding the backup why would you recommened against running the local backup before the seeding process?  When you say run backup I take that would be a Full backup.  If backup have already been run is there any issue with this?

Posted: 08-24-2014, 9:25 AM
    Because it is seeding the whole storage policy. Not just individual jobs. I ran into headaches when I ran the backup first.
    Posted: 08-28-2014, 12:10 PM

Right.  

This installation is a greenfield site so should it mater if I run the backup first?

Another question when you run the work flow does it automatically create the DASH/Aux copy job in the storage policy?

Posted: 08-28-2014, 12:13 PM
    To be honest I have always created the DASH copy schedule manually before running the workflow. It might do it automatically for all I know.
The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy