Commcell Console

Last post 08-19-2014, 10:30 AM by Henke_H. 12 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Commcell Console
    Posted: 08-18-2014, 3:15 AM

I am working on a project to expand our Simpana 10 environment to also include remote sites. I'd like that our remote site admins ony should have the ability to do restores on their "servers". I've limited this with client owner and capabilities.

When I login as a remote site admin in the console I can verify the limitations. But in the consle all of the browse tree is visable, clickable. 

Is there a way to remove the items that the user don't have access to, so the only visable ones the ones he/she has access to?

Or is the web console with My Data a better option?

Regards

Henrik

• Re: Commcell Console
    Posted: 08-18-2014, 7:52 AM

Did you give the remote site admins "View All" capability ? If so, remove it. 

To clarify, by "browse tree", are you referring to the entire client list, or are you referring to browsing a single client and seeing all folders in the filesystem, where the remote admin may not have access to all of those file paths on this particular client. 

Web Console "My Data" is probably not the best option here as it is intended more for End-User recoveries for FileSystem and Exchange data.  In its current implementation it is not so much intended for administrative restores. 

Wearer of Many Hats
    Posted: 08-18-2014, 8:15 AM

Thanks for the answer.

No one is memebr of the view all group.

The remote Admins is only added as Client Owners, with capabilities.

Browse tree refers to the items on the list in Commcell as:

Client Computer Groups
    Client Computers
    Security
    Storage Resources
    Etc.

Can those be filtered off so that remote admins dont see them if they don't have a capability assigned to see them.

Posted: 08-18-2014, 8:19 AM

you cannot hide those categories in the commcell console.  Only the entities within them will be hidden in case you do not have the required permissions. 

Wearer of Many Hats
    Posted: 08-18-2014, 8:36 AM
    • mbirk is not online. Last active: 03-27-2015, 10:35 AM mbirk
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-04-2013
    • Sankt Augustin, Germany
    • Novice
    • Points 71

Hi Henrik,

there is a registry key you could set.

Please set "nRestrictedViewEnabled" to "2" in the "Additional Settings" Tab of your CommCell properties.

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v10/article?p=features/commcell_console/commcell_console_advanced.htm#Hiding_CommCell_Elements

regards

Max

Posted: 08-18-2014, 9:53 AM

Thanks!

I'll give it a try.

Posted: 08-19-2014, 4:47 AM

mbirk:

Hi Henrik,

there is a registry key you could set.

Please set "nRestrictedViewEnabled" to "2" in the "Additional Settings" Tab of your CommCell properties.

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v10/article?p=features/commcell_console/commcell_console_advanced.htm#Hiding_CommCell_Elements

regards

Max

I followed the instructions in the link but it seems that it does not work. After adding a test user into the CV_Restricted_Visibility group I can't see any effect in the comcell.

Anyone got this working in V10?

//Henrik

Posted: 08-19-2014, 5:48 AM
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-04-2013
    • Novice
    • Points 71

Hi Henrik,

you need to assign the restricted users to the automatically created "CV_Restricted_Visibility" group  and at least one other group with a capability set and associated entities.

For example:

Create a user group "CLIENT X" and assign all capabilities and associate with a client "X". Assign a Testuser to user groups "CLIENT X" and "CV_Restricted_Visibility". If you log in as that user you will only see the items in the console you have access to.

Posted: 08-19-2014, 7:36 AM

I tested and I don't get it to work.

Test user added to the restricted_visability group along with another group that have Browse and In place restore capabillity and associated with a computer group.

But still I see all of the "browse tree" in Comcell.

//henrik

Posted: 08-19-2014, 8:04 AM
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-04-2013
    • Novice
    • Points 71

That is strange - as it is working in my test setup.

Just to verify: Did you set the registry key under CommCell Properties-> Additional Settings and restarted the Simpana services on the CommServe afterwards? The "CV_Restricted_Visibility" groups gets created automatically.

In the attachements, is the Example.PNG screenshot the view you expect to see? Are we on the same page here? :)

Posted: 08-19-2014, 9:32 AM

mbirk:

That is strange - as it is working in my test setup.

Just to verify: Did you set the registry key under CommCell Properties-> Additional Settings and restarted the Simpana services on the CommServe afterwards? The "CV_Restricted_Visibility" groups gets created automatically.

In the attachements, is the Example.PNG screenshot the view you expect to see? Are we on the same page here? :)

Thanks mbirk!

The screenshots did clearify, and yes we are on the same page.

However I am trying to accomplish this to an external, AD user, maybe I should have said so from the beginning. I get it to work setting it up on a local user in Commcell after looking at your screenshot.

It seems to me that the properties differ if I look on a "Local" user agains a "external" user.

So I guess next question is, can it be applied to an external user? The external user belongs to the same groups as the local user, but the end result isn't the same.

//Henrik

Posted: 08-19-2014, 9:44 AM
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-04-2013
    • Novice
    • Points 71

Ok. Just verified that it will also aork with external groups.

Can you try and create a user group "ExternalGroup" with capabilities, some associated entities and AD security group associated. Also associate same AD security group with the "CV_Restricted_Visibility" Group.

It should work then if you login with a user of that AD security group.

Posted: 08-19-2014, 10:30 AM

mbirk:

Ok. Just verified that it will also aork with external groups.

Can you try and create a user group "ExternalGroup" with capabilities, some associated entities and AD security group associated. Also associate same AD security group with the "CV_Restricted_Visibility" Group.

It should work then if you login with a user of that AD security group.

Thanks mbirk.

I got it working with Your help.

Much appreciated.

//henrik

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy