SP5 repurcussions

Last post 10-28-2010, 6:37 PM by JWeir. 9 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • SP5 repurcussions
    Posted: 10-01-2010, 12:04 PM

So I deployed SP5 yesterday.  All upgrades seem to have gone fine, and all backups went off without a hitch last night.

But,  here's the problem:

I log into CommCell from my desktop icon.  My system is a Windows 7 box, so, in order for updates to install, I have to right-click and Run as Administrator.  I do that this morning, and a list of 6 updates shows up, wanting to be downloaded and installed.  So I click Yes, and away it goes.  The download looks like it's working, the program closes, ostensibly to install the updates.  The program comes back up to the login, I login, and see the same 6 updates wanting to be installed.  It's a vicious circle, over and over again.

Anyone have any clue to this?  Am I going to have to download the individual updates, and install them manually on my machine?  Do I need to run the SP5 install on my personal machine?

All help/tips/advice is appreciated.

UPDATE - I am able to manually install the updates, but that's going to be a big pain if I have to do that all the time...

• Re: SP5 repurcussions
    Posted: 10-01-2010, 5:04 PM

Good afternoon,

Since your machine has the web console and none of the actual CommVault components installed, your best bet would be to run the SP5 install locally to see if that applies all of the latest GUI updates.  Once that is done, let us know if it still requires the updates.

Posted: 10-01-2010, 5:12 PM

IF the console is installed on this machine you should be able to determine why the updates are not applied, via the updateinfo.log file. 

Posted: 10-01-2010, 6:23 PM

The updateinfo.log is showing that the updates were installed successfully, but when the gui comes back up for login, the same 5 updates are showing as needed.

Posted: 10-01-2010, 6:39 PM

Yes, installing the SP manually on my desktop worked, but it shouldn't have to be done that way.  The installs from inside the GUI should be able to install the updates... Frown

Posted: 10-03-2010, 8:51 AM

Agreed, however what escapes me is, if the auto update truly updated the GUI, when you ran the manual install it shouldnt have applied any updates as the install would immediately quit saying all updates are already applied.  Can you supply the updateinfo.log?

Posted: 10-28-2010, 10:51 AM

Do an uninstall updates and remove all updates on the console. Reinstall SP5 and you will be golden. We go through the same crap everytime there is a SP release. This was the recommended fix from support.

Posted: 10-28-2010, 2:53 PM
    • Aplynx is not online. Last active: 09-19-2019, 11:14 AM Liam
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-04-2010
    • New Jersey
    • Master
    • Points 1,707

there should be some additional logs under C:\DOCUME~1\All Users\Application Data\Commvault Systems that could point to some other issues. I've seen a working GUI on a remote machine fail to install updates due to name resolution

Posted: 10-28-2010, 6:09 PM

I had this same issue with SP5 and the fix for me was installing it locally. I have noticed since then the updates have applied automagically no problem at all, it seems to have just been with the SP update. 

Posted: 10-28-2010, 6:37 PM

That is correct.  Installing the updates locally will fix the issue and it should run fine going forward.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy