SnapMirror break/reverse

Last post 05-19-2015, 11:29 PM by Watson. 7 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • SnapMirror break/reverse
    Posted: 08-21-2014, 5:00 PM

I'm using Simpana and IntelliSnap for my SnapMirror and SnapVault relationships- overall a huge benefit. I love the additional function that's provided by Simpana. A+ on the added features.

However, I am really in a twist about how to properly fail volumes over to the mirror in a DR scenario and continue backing them up without angering Simpana. When I break the SnapMirror and reverse the relationship, I suspect that this will cause issues with Simpana, since it is aware of and keeps track of all of these resources.

Assistance please.

• Re: SnapMirror break/reverse
    Posted: 08-22-2014, 4:45 PM
    • Ali is not online. Last active: 07-03-2019, 12:32 PM Ali
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-05-2010

Hi Dino, curious, what service pack you are on?  I'm not a 100% but checking on this, will come back shortly.

Posted: 08-22-2014, 4:50 PM

SP7.

Posted: 08-25-2014, 12:42 PM
    • Ali is not online. Last active: 07-03-2019, 12:32 PM Ali
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-05-2010

Thanks, could you confirm if this is NetApp or EMC?

Posted: 08-25-2014, 1:37 PM

NetApp FAS. We have 3250 and 2250s both.

Posted: 08-27-2014, 1:03 PM
    • isle is not online. Last active: 06-04-2019, 3:28 PM isle
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-21-2012
    • NJ
    • Adept
    • Points 308

Are you saying you want to promote the vault or mirror to be the primary snap location?

Posted: 09-08-2014, 11:26 AM

Partly, yes. I'm saying that in a scenario where the primary site goes offline, I want to break the SnapMirror relationship and prmote the SnapMirror destination to the primary. Then, when the primary site comes back up, I want to reverse resync, and when all is caught up, re-establish the original relationships.

I know exactly how to do this in NetApp and Operations Manager. I have, howver, no idea how (or if) Simpana could roll with the changes. I do not want to wreck my storage policies and datasets in Simpana. I do NOT mind running manual SnapMirror updates and reversing the sync operations in Operations Mnager. I just want to se sure that when the dust setlles that I can use Simpana to run my regular jobs again.

Posted: 05-19-2015, 11:29 PM

Breaking a SnapMirror relationship makes the destination volume writable.  When you re-synchronize a SnapMirror you are re-establishing the relationship and making the destination volume read only again.  Re-synchronizing a SnapMirror relationship does not re-baseline, it only updates the blocks that have changed since the base snapshot.  

If a relationship is broken and re-synchronized then subsequent SnapMirror transfers should work inside OnCommand Unified Manager and CommVault as long as OCUM conformance checks are passed.

Inside my lab on an existing SnapMirror relationship I did the following (a) snapmirror break (b) new snapbackup (c) snapmirror resync (d) new snapbackup (e) snapMirror from commVault

Let me know what steps you are performing and I can try to reproduce

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy