Renaming a Media Agent

Last post 10-05-2010, 5:45 PM by Brad Scott. 2 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Renaming a Media Agent
    Posted: 10-03-2010, 4:28 PM

    Hi All,

    Last week we had a nice client of ours decide to rename the DNS name of a Media Agent they have on site without telling us first.

    This obviously stopped all communication with the CommServe. We changed the name of the Media Agent in the CommCell thinking this would fix the issue, of course the CommCell said that it was unable to access the registry in that server and refused to update it correctly, keeping the MA offline. It wasn't until the guys at CV support messed around with the configuration for an hour or so and ended up putting in a firewall config on the MA that it started working correctly and came online. (Don't ask me why this worked there were no blocked ports between the two servers).

    My question is what is the correct procedure to rename a media agent server. Please don't say uninstall the MA software then change the name of the server then reinstall, this will not work as we used SIDB and CDR which would, I am sure require re-seeding. There must be an easier way, or was what we did by renaming it in the CommCell the correct procedure but we were just unlucky that it did not work?

     

    Thanks in advance for your help.

  • Re: Renaming a Media Agent
    Posted: 10-04-2010, 10:07 AM

    Before changing the name within the GUI make sure the commserve can resolve the new name (which i suspect it couldnt, which is why it failed to update the information within the registry on the MA itself)

    If you allowed the change to be made even though it was reachable you can follow the manual process:

     

    http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/release_8_0_0/books_online_1/english_us/features/name_change/name_change_troubleshooting.htm#Manually Updating the CommServe or Domain name on Client/MediaAgent Computers

  • Re: Renaming a Media Agent
    Posted: 10-05-2010, 5:45 PM

    Thanks for the information. I will run some tests in our lab to ensure it works as expected. I am sure we checked this during the name change in production but might have missed something in the rush to get services backup.

     

    Thanks again!

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy