ESX 4.1 and Commvault 8.0 VSA backups using VADP.

Last post 10-05-2010, 11:21 AM by Willie_F. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • ESX 4.1 and Commvault 8.0 VSA backups using VADP.
    Posted: 10-04-2010, 5:24 PM

I came across something today and I'm wondering if anyone else has seen something similar.

We created an ESX 4.1 environment (new Vsphere server and ESX 4.1 host) and moved a couple of VMs from our ESX 4.0 environemnt over to this new 4.1 setup.   I created a new Instance on our Commvault VSA server to point to that 4.1 VSphere server.

Now here is where it gets a bit confusing.   Any virtual machine we moved over to the 4.1 enviroment from the 4.0 environment backups just fine via the new Commvault VSA instance using VADP.  

However If we build a brand new virtual machine on the 4.1 ESX host,  the new virtual machine will not backup.  The files for this new VM are stored on the same LUN as the VMs we "moved" over.  In reviewing the log files I see the 

"CVMDiskInfo::Dispatch_VixDiskLib_Open() - VixDiskLib_Open failed Err=d You do not have access rights to this file"

How can one VM on the same lun of the same ESX host backup just fine and then this new VM created in 4.1 not be able to backup.

Both VMs are at HW7 version and the VMWare tools are reporting as up to date.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Pat

• Re: ESX 4.1 and Commvault 8.0 VSA backups using VADP.
    Posted: 10-04-2010, 7:20 PM

We have seen issues if this is a Windows 2008 Server, Try the following information/configuration setting (on the vSphere Client)

Application consistent quiescing of Windows 2008 virtual machines is only available when those virtual machines are created in vSphere 4.1. Virtual machines created in vSphere 4.0 can be updated to enable application consistent quiescing by modifying a virtual machine’s enableUUID attribute.

Since application level VSS quiescing is not available in VDDK 1.1.1 (need 1.2 per the 1.2 release notes) I believe the “enableUUID” parameter is causing the quiesce to fail (thus the access rights error)

(so we need to disable the “disk.EnableUUID” feature to get this to work)

Disable Windows 2008 Virtual Machine Application Consistent Quiescing

1 Start the vSphere Client, and log in to a vCenter Server.

2 Select Virtual Machines and Templates and click the Virtual Machines tab.

3 Right‐click the Windows 2008 virtual machine for which you are enabling the disk UUID attribute, and

select Power > Power Off.

The virtual machine powers off.

4 Right‐click the virtual machine, and click Edit Settings.

5 Click the Options tab, and select the General entry in the settings column.

6 Click Configuration Parameters...

The Configuration Paramters window appears.

7 Click Add Row.

8 In the Name column, enter disk.EnableUUID.

9 In the Value column, enter FALSE.

10 Click OK and click Save.

11 Power on the virtual machine.

http://www.vmware.com/support/developer/vddk/vadp_vsphere_backup12.pdf

Client Team Supervisor - Focus on Virtualization
    Follow me on Twitter - @wfarinella
    Posted: 10-04-2010, 11:54 PM

Interesting, will have to test this when we migrate soon. thanks for the info.

Posted: 10-05-2010, 10:23 AM

I changed the disk.EnableUUID setting on the VM to false and that fixed the backup issue.  So if I'm understanding the root problem I'll need to continue to make this change for any new Windows 2008 VM build in our ESX 4.1 environment?

Pat

Posted: 10-05-2010, 11:21 AM

That is correct. You could just build into the template that you deploy that way it is done when deploying the VM's.

Glad to hear it worked.

Client Team Supervisor - Focus on Virtualization
    Follow me on Twitter - @wfarinella
The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy