Office 365 & pre-existing archived emails

Last post 02-16-2015, 5:38 PM by Pete Clements. 2 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Office 365 & pre-existing archived emails
    Posted: 09-05-2014, 11:49 AM

Hi group,

I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with customers migrating to O365 and how they handled their on-premise archived emails.

I wondered if there were any neat tricks, tools, or Commvault based support for such situations.

As it stands, I'm not 100% certain how stub migration will be handled. And I'm not sure what information is written in to a stub. So assume the stub migrates to the O365 mailbox, and the user is running Outlook to connect from inside the organistation, would the recall work if they can get to the CS and MA. I would imagine the recall path would be:

Outlook -> CV Oulook addin -> Exchange -> CV Exch agent -> CS - > MA

But if Exchange the the CV Exch agent aren't in the loop, and the Outlook addin talks directly to the CS/MA, AND the stubs are in tact, then it may "just work" (internally with Outlook at least)

Curious on your thoughts and experience anyway.

Pete

• Re: Office 365 & pre-existing archived emails
    Posted: 02-15-2015, 10:09 PM

Hi Pete

I would be curious if you had any advise on the above and how you ended up going about it?

Going through an O365 migration currently and finding it extremely time consuming migrating archives back into the mailstore via CVrecall utility. was there a way to retain the archives and still migrate?

Regards

Ryan

• Re: Office 365 & pre-existing archived emails
    Posted: 02-16-2015, 5:38 PM

Hey Ryan, good to hear I wasn't alone with this challenge!

To be honest, I don't have a good answer for you. We've ended up leaving Content Indexing in place so the users can search their archived email through that.

As it turned out for me, the stubs did get copied to O365 and the user could double click them. However, even with the old Exchange still powered up, stub recalls didn't work. I believe this was down to some authentication element of how the recalls worked.

I take it you're using the cvrecallmailbox utility from here:

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/release_9_0_0/books_online_1/english_us/products/dm_ex/recover_adv.htm#Recalling_Messages_for_an_Entire_Mailbox_

Cheers

Pete

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy