Quantum DXi / DR Site recovery

Last post 09-16-2014, 4:02 PM by takuan39. 11 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Quantum DXi / DR Site recovery
    Posted: 09-14-2014, 11:03 AM

Hello,

I have a CV10 / SP7 installation, and at he Production Site have the Media Agent writing to a Quantum DXi via a CIFS share.  The Quantum DXi is performing the dedupe (not Commvault), and then is replicating itself (as a CIFS Share) over to a DR Site.  At the DR Site i have a dormant DR Commserve, and a separate physical Media agent (showing up in the Prod Commcell).

Question:  So the Quantum DXi is deduping and relicating itself from Prod to DR.  In a full DR event, how does the DR Media agent know what's on that DR Quantum CIFS share? 

Should i also replicate over the Index Cache or something? Or should i set up the MA2 as a 2nd Data Path inthe Storage Policy?  I'm wondering how the DR MA is able to read the backup disk / CIFS share.

Anyone out there set up this type of scenario before?  All help is Greatly Appreciated!  :-)

• Re: Quantum DXi / DR Site recovery
    Posted: 09-14-2014, 12:43 PM
    • Ali is not online. Last active: 07-03-2019, 12:32 PM Ali
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-05-2010

Hi Takuan, hope you are well.  Have you seen this section:

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v10/article?p=features/disk_library/replicated_library.htm

Also index cache isn't a problem, as index is written with the data chunks so if needed it will restore it right from the magnetic library.

Posted: 09-14-2014, 12:57 PM

Good afternoon, Ali!

I was originally wondering if i should go that route, and it soulnds like i wouldn't need to worry about index cache then? ... the customer wanted the Quantum DXi's to control the replication because it knows what's been deduped.  With Replicated Library then Commvault would be controlling the replication. 

Is Replicated Library the preferred method for Production / DR Quantum DXi's running dedupe? 

Thank you! :-)

Posted: 09-14-2014, 1:09 PM
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-05-2010

Yes, index isn't an issue, with this config 1 MA is read and write, and 1 MA is read only.

Quantam will always control the replicatoin, CV is only being configured (per the link above) to be aware of where the physical data resides for reading the data, replicated side won't be used for backups.

Posted: 09-14-2014, 1:22 PM

Cool, i'll try to set that up tomorrow, and will kep you updated.  Sounds like Replicated Library scenario doesn't send backup data itself then, i guess like an Aux Copy or something like DASH would. 

The (2) Quantum's are currently replicating via their own GUI, and are about 1/2 way done.  I'm hoping that i'll be able to just let that continue / finish, and also set up the Replicated Library then. 

Have a Great Day!

Posted: 09-14-2014, 2:05 PM
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-05-2010

Exactly you got it, its transparent to CV, cool part is once you configure it to make CV aware of it, then you're all tied in.

You could stop the scheduler when you're doing this, or disable Backup and Restore globally in case you want to prevent any unknown access while you're configuring the devices also.

Let us know how you make out.

Posted: 09-14-2014, 2:12 PM
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-05-2010

BTW, Data & Restore management can be set at the CommCell Propeties, top left in CommCell Browser window on the CommCell name at the top of the tree.

Posted: 09-14-2014, 5:06 PM

Hello again,

I VPN'ed into the customer site, and - following the Replicated Library link you sent me - went to the Library & Drive Config / Shared Disk Devices, and added the DR Media agent into the listings of the pre-existing CIFS shares, pointing to the DR Shares rather than the Production shares. 

Thinking about it...i believe that's all i really need to do.  The Prod CIFS Shares are already defined under the 1st tab of Library & Drive Config - so nothing to do there.  And i don't need to go to the Storage Policy / Data Path tab, because that should be already taken care of as well.

Does all that sounds right?  If so, then i'm probably all set and can sleep soundly tonight.  :-)

Posted: 09-14-2014, 10:19 PM
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-05-2010

Sounds good to me, correct no need to add it to the data path, as its a replicated & "Read Only" path, no data to write to it.  If you view the properties of the mount path of the prod CIFS you'll see the replicated path you just configured there.

Now to test the restore when you have a chance, let us know how that goes.

Posted: 09-16-2014, 3:22 PM

Good afternoon!

The Quantum DXi is still replicating from Production site to DR site - about 450TB undeduped / 18 TB deduped.  It's taking it awhil, and rough estimation ETA to completion is about three more weeks (it started August 22nd).  I'll keep posted how it works out!  :-)

Posted: 09-16-2014, 3:36 PM
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-05-2010

Thanks for the update...curious if you could share how does this replication happen, sequentially in some manner, or is it a random read and replicate?

Posted: 09-16-2014, 4:02 PM

That is a good question, and i'll have to research that.  The production Quantum DXi is controlling the replication via it's GUI.  When i compare the source \\CIFS folder with the destination \\CIFS folder, it seems it's doing the most recent jobs first and working backward in time.  The actual footprint on disk is about 18 TB, and the data before dedupe is 472 TB.  So far actual data that's gone across the wire since August 22 is 7.34 TB.  So from that i'm thinking it's looking at it block by block as it would be if un-deduped, and then comparing to se if the destination has it yet.  That's the only reason i could think as to why it's taking so long to replicate.  Currently the units are sitting side-by-side, and are using a 10 GBe / LACP connection to move data.  Crazy slow.  I'll research more later.  :-)

Have a Great Day!

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy