Aux copy an old backup from tape back to disk?

Last post 09-15-2014, 1:21 PM by JReynolds2791. 6 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Aux copy an old backup from tape back to disk?
    Posted: 09-11-2014, 7:02 PM

I was wondering if it is possible to aux copy a previous backup from a specific date from tape to disk?

• Re: Aux copy an old backup from tape back to disk?
    Posted: 09-12-2014, 7:31 AM

Good Day JReynolds2791,

The basic answer to your question is yes. As long as said backup job id is availabe you can create an aux copy operation to pull from that job ids copy level and point it to be copied to apmost any other media type you want ie another tape or a disk library location. Using the proper aux copy creation criteria and advanced options in that aux copy can help you to narrow down your copy to only what job ids you want to copy even if it is just 1 job to be copied.

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v10/article?p=features/auxiliary_copy/auxiliary_copy.htm

Regards

SG1

Posted: 09-15-2014, 1:04 PM
    • Ali is not online. Last active: 02-22-2019, 10:44 AM Ali
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-05-2010

Hi JReynolds, could you expand a bit more on this?

Posted: 09-15-2014, 1:09 PM

I had some data that had aged off disk that was still on tape.  My tape library was at my HA site,  I thought it needed to be restored to my primary site.  My VMware guy wasn't around because it was after hours so I wasn't wanting to worry about vmotioning it.  I was thinking about copying the tape back to disk and DASHing it back to the primary site.  Its a moot point though as I ended up restoring it to the ESX hosts at the HA site.

Posted: 09-15-2014, 1:10 PM

I had some data that had aged off disk that was still on tape.  My tape library was at my HA site,  I thought it needed to be restored to my primary site.  My VMware guy wasn't around because it was after hours so I wasn't wanting to worry about vmotioning it.  I was thinking about copying the tape back to disk and DASHing it back to the primary site.  Its a moot point though as I ended up restoring it to the ESX hosts at the HA site and they grabbed what they needed from there.

Posted: 09-15-2014, 1:19 PM
    • Ali is not online. Last active: 02-22-2019, 10:44 AM Ali
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-05-2010

Thanks, got it, yes you could do that, but its messy as you would need to promote and demote copies I'm sure you know this. 

In case you have to do this in future, one suggestion is you could restore the job itself out of place (to a stand by machine, like a Media Agent drive), then back it up as a normal job into your Primary copy to be dashed over (one time job).  Just provide some details in the job description or flag it somehow so it stand out.

Posted: 09-15-2014, 1:21 PM
    That is an excellent idea!!!
The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy