Backups without needing to contact the comcell console

Last post 10-14-2010, 1:40 PM by efg. 5 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Backups without needing to contact the comcell console
    Posted: 10-14-2010, 11:05 AM
  • Re: Backups without needing to contact the comcell console
    Posted: 10-14-2010, 11:19 AM

Hello da-chosen-1,

Let me toss something out there and ask your thoughts.

What if you could go to a website and start a backup or restore without ever using the GUI?

Is that something that would meet your needs?

Posted: 10-14-2010, 11:52 AM
    • efg is not online. Last active: 06-25-2019, 9:27 AM efg
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-02-2010
    • CommVault Tinton Falls NJ
    • Expert
    • Points 1,658

Are you talking about not contacting the commserver ot just not using the GUI?   Check out the documentation for command line backups using the "qcommands".

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/release_8_0_0/books_online_1/english_us/features/cli/cli.htm

Ernst F. Graeler
    Senior Engineer III
    Development
    Posted: 10-14-2010, 1:09 PM

I'm sorry I wasn't to clear but I was not referring to the gui.  I was just referring to the communication that is needed between the comcell server and the mediaagent at the remote site.  If I can't communicate with it the commcell server the job will not run.   But tell me more about this solution of not using the gui.

Posted: 10-14-2010, 1:16 PM

The backups jobs are scheduled for the evenings and there is no one there to run these command line scripts.  Also I would only want it to run if there is no communication between the remote server and the comcell server.  Is there a way then to setup a script that can tell there is no communication with the commcell server and so then run the script to perform the backup.  That could be an option.  Maybe use whatever commvault uses to check connectivity or even a ping test then if it times out run the backup from the script (just thinking out loud).

Posted: 10-14-2010, 1:40 PM
    • efg is not online. Last active: 06-25-2019, 9:27 AM efg
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-02-2010
    • CommVault Tinton Falls NJ
    • Expert
    • Points 1,658

Connectivity of the commserver to the client is required for a backup to run regardless of how the backup is triggered (Through a script or the CS scheduler).   This is because the CS monitors all the jobs running to handle resource management, as well as recording backup statistics.   If there is a possible connectivty issue between the CS and a remote office, you may want to consider (If not already enabled) the firewall settings between the CS and any clients in the remote office.  Even if no firewall is in use between these systems, connecting to a remote office, sometimes occurs through switches that have timeouts set on open ports to close them if inactivity is detected.  By setting up the firewall rules between the CS and these clients you can set up "keep-alive" pings (The default is 5 minutes) between the systems to prevent ports from being detected as idle.

Here is a link to the 8.0 documentation for enabling firewall settings:

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/release_8_0_0/books_online_1/english_us/features/firewall/firewall.htm

Ernst F. Graeler
    Senior Engineer III
    Development
The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy