Question on Aux Copy and Synthetic Fulls

Last post 11-26-2014, 10:39 AM by JamesMacDonald. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Question on Aux Copy and Synthetic Fulls
    Posted: 11-25-2014, 8:51 AM

good day,

I am wondering if there is anyway to do a synthetic full against a secondary copy/aux copy.

I am doing daily incrementals and weekly synthetic fulls at my remote sites that have disk libraries, and after the incrementals, the aux copy kicks in and send the data back here. Weekly Synthetic full runs on friday night and sends taht back here to.

is there anyway to set it up so that the synthetic full does not get sent back here, but is build from the incrementals instead?

I know this is done when performing backups across the wire, incrementals are sent, but the synthetic full is built on the primary storage from the incrementals, but not sure if it is possible with aux copies.

It would be nice to be able to do this, as i dont really like sending the 700+ gb back across the wire from Australia to Canada. the processing of that 700+GB is waht takes upwareds 2 days to complete, even though it only sends a bit of actual data

thanks

• Re: Question on Aux Copy and Synthetic Fulls
    Posted: 11-25-2014, 10:57 PM

I do not belive you can do a Synthetc full as such but what is possible are DASH Fulls which should provide the solution you are looking for, We currently do this for our ofsite locations. See:

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v10/article?p=features/backup/syn_full.htm

Posted: 11-25-2014, 10:58 PM

Please delete duplicate post (will not let me delete it)

Posted: 11-26-2014, 10:39 AM

Thanks, but i dont think that is what i am looking for

We need our primary copy at the remote site for fast restore. secondary/aux copy back here in case the disk at the remote site goes belly up, and a restore is required, it should pull from here back to remote site.

If we were doing the actual primary backups across the wire back to here, then yeah the synthetic full would run on the media agent here.

thanks though!

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy