BAcking up to disk or USB

Last post 01-16-2015, 10:04 AM by light1. 7 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • BAcking up to disk or USB
    Posted: 01-08-2015, 12:20 PM

Hi,

We have primary site for disk backups, and a secondary site for DR.  We want to backup to USB or another site so we can take it off-line for security reasons.  What's the best way to achieve this?

Total DAta: 7TB

Scenario 1:

2 12 TB USB/NAS drives directly attached to the media agent

1.  Perform a full on USB 1 and USB 2.

2.  Every odd month, plug in array 1 and sync it up to the backup.

2. Every even month, plug in array 2 and sync it up to the backup.

Question, after the initial full, will I be able to do an AUX/DASH copy to the USB drive? I don't want it to take 36 hours on USB2 speeds for each monthly offline copy.

Scenario 2:

Use a third site/SAn to host a third copy and perform weekly or monthly Aux/DAsh copies.  The idea is to take it off-line, so we may need to create 2 disk libraries in this remote location.

1.  perform a full to library 1 (let's assume this is 5*4 TB hard drives in the SAN).  Remove disks

2. Perform a full to library 2 (Same as above)

Each month (or set time), physically remove one set of disks and put them aside, while the backups happen on the other set.  Prior to removal confirm data is on the disks?

Question, would it cause problems to plug those disks in and will I be able to do an AUx/DASh copy and it'll only copy changed blocks to the library? Be it library 1 or 2?

• Re: BAcking up to disk or USB
    Posted: 01-13-2015, 10:17 AM
    • Ali is not online. Last active: 07-03-2019, 12:32 PM Ali
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-05-2010

Hi light, could you clarify, where will the USB be attached?  Could you share also how how the copies are currently setup, Primary & how many secondary copies also if they write to disk or tape?

Also to confirm Simpana version and service pack?

Posted: 01-13-2015, 10:26 AM

Latest simpana, sp 9.

I have not setup anything yet, and the USB wil be connected to the media agent directly.

Posted: 01-13-2015, 10:29 AM

Hello light1,

Pls see if the below helps.. indeed backup to USB by using a PnP library.

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v10/article?p=features/pnp_disks/pnp_disks.htm

Check these out for info related to aux/dash to a remote datacenter.

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v10/article?p=features/deduplication/manualseedingprocess.htm

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v10/article?p=features/workflow/templates/seeding.htm

Thanks

Jai.

Posted: 01-13-2015, 10:35 AM

So as I understand it, seeding is for first time across the WAN, and then replication afterwards?  And you are saying I can use the same process for off-line backups?  I will already be replicating across the WAN...i may or may not seed depending on the bandwdith, we'll see.

Posted: 01-13-2015, 11:13 AM
    • Ali is not online. Last active: 07-03-2019, 12:32 PM Ali
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-05-2010

Could you clarify what you mean by "off-line" backups?

Posted: 01-13-2015, 11:18 AM

backups so that an attacker can not access them online...once every 2 weeks, and swap those disks

Posted: 01-16-2015, 10:04 AM

Any help is appreciated.

I want to backup to Primary, DR, and 2 secondary off-line copies, rotating the final 2, and this can be done via USB or via 100Mbps link.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy