DBMaintenance Workflow

Last post 01-13-2015, 1:32 AM by Wad. 5 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • DBMaintenance Workflow
    Posted: 01-12-2015, 7:58 AM

Hi All,

I'm discovering the workflows and I found a predifined one called "DBMaintenance".

I assumed this is for the CommServe DB Maintenance. But I would like to modify it, in order to do a pre-check for no other jobs running before running the DB Maintenance.

Do you know if this is possible to do ? and how ? 

regards

• Re: DBMaintenance Workflow
    Posted: 01-12-2015, 8:40 AM

You could do a CommServe DB query against the view [CommServ].[dbo].[CommCellJobController] to see any jobs running. I am sure there are other ways to do it as well.

Also, I think the latest documentation says that you can run DB Maintenance with jobs running if you wish. It's just recommended to do it during periods of lower activity.

-J. Mills
    Systems Engineer (Storage & Backup)
    CommVault Certified Master

Posted: 01-12-2015, 8:52 AM

For Example:

Create a CommServeDBQuery step with the following SQL Batch

SELECT [jobID]
    ,[operation]
    ,[clientComputer]
    ,[status]
    FROM [CommServ].[dbo].[CommCellJobController]
    WHERE [status] = 'Running'
    Then on your transitions you could set the following conditions:
    xpath:{/workflow/CommServDBQuery_1/resultSets/rowCount}>0       [Error]
    xpath:{/workflow/CommServDBQuery_1/resultSets/rowCount}<1       [Ok, to continue]

I've attached a small example where it will check if more or less that 15 jobs are running. 

-J. Mills
    Systems Engineer (Storage & Backup)
    CommVault Certified Master

Attachment: JobCheck.zip
    Posted: 01-12-2015, 11:06 AM
    • Ali is not online. Last active: 06-26-2019, 2:03 PM Ali
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-05-2010

Good day Folks,

More on the tool itself:

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v10/article?p=features/tools/db_maintenance.htm

Recommended Usage

Review the following recommendations before using this utility:

• Use the utility during periods of low CommServe activity to minimize the effect on data protection operations.
    • When this utility is run for the very first time, use the full parameter to perform database maintenance.
    • After the first use, use the full parameter to perform database maintenance every 6 months.

Posted: 01-13-2015, 1:25 AM

Thanks jmills, 

Your example is perfect ! 

I'm will try to upload my version when it will be finished.

Posted: 01-13-2015, 1:32 AM

Thanks Ali,

Strangely, I have done the upgrade of my CommServe in mid-December and done a full DBMaintenance juste after (in the Health report I got ctritial alarms on size (in row and MB) of some tables on the CommServe DB. (Still have alarms ont number of rows but according to the support it's a false alarm).

But now I have some index fragmentation alarm in the health report after less than a month that's why I'm trying to automate that according to the recommandation.

regards

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy