Figuring out how to get remote site backups/copies to main datacenter

Last post 01-21-2015, 5:47 PM by Sonny St James. 7 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Figuring out how to get remote site backups/copies to main datacenter
    Posted: 01-14-2015, 8:14 AM

good day

I am having an issue trying to figure out how getting a copy or backup of remote sites back to the main datacenter. In a nutshell, we have remote sites that backup to local internal attached LTO tape drives, we were told we can get a DASH copy or some sort of copy back to the main datacenter. I do not know how this is going to work… at all.

Here is the details of how we have things set up.

Datacenter – Commserve is hosted here. The media agent that is the intended target for the remote sites is here too. The media agent server is configured with SSD for the Global Deduplication Database and a pile of san storage on the back end for the library paths.

Remote Site – Remote site server is a host server with Microsoft HyperV role installed with 3 guest VMs.  Remote server has an internally attached LTO drive (LTO4 or LTO5).  The media agent is installed on the Remote server.

Storage policy configuration – Each remote site is set up with its own storage policy. These are not deduplication enabled. We do a full back-up each night, Monday to Friday to physical tape. The tape is changed out every morning by the remote site contacts.  So we have Monday Tape, Tuesday Tape, Wednesday Tape and Thursday Tape. We have retention set to 4 days 0 cycles for the daily tapes. On Friday, we load a Week Set tape and keep an extended retention of 35 Days for these tapes.

What we have been told/sold by Commvault, and one of the factors in why we purchased it, was that we can somehow get a copy of the backups back here to the Data Center. I do not see or understand how this is possible with tape.

I have set up DASH Aux Copies for remote sites that backup to local disk drives, this is understandable, but I do not see how I can do it with tape. I do not know how to even begin to get our backup copies back here or even it is considered a backup copy...

I don’t think I can do a AUX copy from tape across the wire back to the GTC. Dedupe at the remote site is not there, so my guess is that it will send everything, even if it was possible.

I don’t know how to apply the seeding process to a backup to LTO tape. I just don’t get what needs to happen to do it.

I cannot set up another storage policy pointing back here, as a client cannot be part of 2 storage policies, plus I don’t see how that would work anyway

I am lost here and I have not had much assistance from our Commvault folks, sure I was on a call with them and they suggested CDR, which is not what we want to do.

I have like 90 sites that the company wants to get their backups back here, and I do not know how to do this….

If anyone out there has done something similar to what I am trying to accomplish, please let me know how you tackled it and how successful the results where.

If any more information is required, I can supply whatever.

Thanks

• Re: Figuring out how to get remote site backups/copies to main datacenter
    Posted: 01-14-2015, 9:24 AM
    • Ali is not online. Last active: 07-03-2019, 12:32 PM Ali
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-05-2010

Hi James, thanks for the background, I think the solution below may work for you, you would basically seed the data then going forward continue the WAN Aux copy within minimal data transfered accross the wire. 

Could you confirm your Simpana version and SP level out of curiosity?

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v10/article?p=features/deduplication/manualseedingprocess.htm

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v10/article?p=features/workflow/templates/seeding.htm

Posted: 01-14-2015, 9:28 AM

simpana 10 SP8

Posted: 01-14-2015, 9:33 AM
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-05-2010

Thanks, the above should work.

Posted: 01-14-2015, 10:21 AM

I have used this process for the remote sites that backup to local disk. We have about 10 sites that have local disk, so i set up a GDSP for the each site, the servers at the site backs up to local disk, dedupe enabled, then the DASH aux copy process runs nightly back to here.

So i get that procedure... for media agents with disk based backups... i do not get how this will work with tape.

sounds like i still backup to tape, then the aux copy, a DASH copy? is run, i assume reading from the tape? these remote servers do not have Dedupe Databases on them.... and like i said before, the storage policy does not have dedupe enabled

Posted: 01-14-2015, 11:19 AM
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-05-2010

Correct, the source will be tape and destination disk (USB in this case), also its the Copy which will have dedupe enabled not the policy.

Posted: 01-14-2015, 11:25 AM

So i would create the shared library between remote and datacenter media agent, perform the aux copy to USB,  ship it back here, ingest the secondary copy, then do the tertiary copies after the backup to tape.

in essence, it would backup to tape, the tape would stay loaded, aux copy would run and read the data from tape, send data across the wire to Datacenter site.

so where on the source, being the remote site out in the field, where does it keep track of what to send if there is no Dedupe database on the source, and if i set dedupe on clients, will it not be ignored becuase i have no dedupe set on the storage policy?

Posted: 01-21-2015, 5:47 PM

Unless you already figured this process out, might I suggest a process change. Hopefully it clears this up for you.

Scenario:

Datacenter - Storage policy for all DC backups

Remote Site - Storage policy for all RS backups

• You currently have a primary copy for all backups.
    • This has a copy job to tape Locally.

What you need to do:

1. Create a new copy in the Remote site SP. This will be to the USB drive for seeding the data.
    2. Create another copy that will use the Datacenter MA and GDP as the next copy.
    3. Run an AUX copy to the copy in Step 1.
    4. Once all the data you want to transfer is there, move it to the Datacenter
    5. Run another Aux to the Copy in step 2.
    6. If you like, you can even setup another copy to tape in the datacenter from the copy in step 2.
    7. Delete the step 1 copy
    8. Copy the CacheDB created in the SIDB folder directory to the source MA.

This was all assuming you setup the shared storage. You do not require the source data to be deduplicated. this will all happen naturally.

Modify the step 2 copy to use the Primary storage from the source (Remote site storage policy)

Remember, the DDB you create for step 1 can be anywhere on the source MA.

I think you know all this from the "manually seeding a DDB for DASH copies" documentation, but just wanted to clear up a few points, if you needed them.

Good luck!

Sonny

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy