QModifySubclient using argument file is not working

Last post 01-29-2015, 11:59 AM by ameykarandikar. 8 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • QModifySubclient using argument file is not working
    Posted: 01-28-2015, 5:01 PM

Hello! I am running CommVault 10, SP9, and I have a very simple workflow that is just not working. The structure of it is Start -> QLogin -> QModifySubclient -> QLogout -> WorkflowEnd.

The QModifySubclient activity is configured to use an argument file via the argumentFilepath variable. What I am trying to do is modify the contents of a subclient to add a long list of paths in for it to back up.

The file is at c:\scripts\argfile.txt . The rest of the fields are blank (client, dataAgent, backupSet, subClient, storagePolicy, etc...). Whenever I run the workflow, it errors and says I must input a client for QModifySubclient, so I do. Same for data agent, backup set, subclient, storage policy. I incrementally add each one into the QModifySubclient, and finally the workflow runs without error. However, when I look at the subclient, the "content" tab is not populated with all the paths that are defined in the argument file. Whenever I run the workflow, it acts like it completes properly, without any error. However, it is not pulling the data from the argument file to populate the content tab.

Here is what my arguments file looks like:

[client]

[dataagent]
    Q_NAS

[backupset]
    defaultBackupSet

[subclient]
    homedirsA

[sp]
    bryanSP1

[content]
    /test3/homedirs/alingua
    /test3/homedirs/aardvark
    /test3/homedirs/alfred
    /test3/homedirs/amelia

Anyone else seen this or know how I can get the QModifySubclient activity to properly pick up the content from the arguments file?

• Re: QModifySubclient using argument file is not working
    Posted: 01-28-2015, 6:57 PM

Is the QCMD_SUPPORT_MODIFY_SUBCLIENT additional setting configured on the CommServe? Does the Qmodify Subclient command work as expected if you run it from the command line on the CS (instead of via a workflow)? You may get a more descriptive message when running the command interactively.

Posted: 01-28-2015, 8:58 PM

The command is actually obsolete. You can use the qoperation execute command instead to add subclient content. Search for "Adding Content" on this page.

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v10/article?p=products/windows/cli_config.htm#Available_Parameters_for_Subclient_Configuration

There is a demo workflow "Demo - Client Group Policy" which uses this activity with display name "Modify Subclient" if you want to take a look.

Posted: 01-28-2015, 11:13 PM

hi jjbiv

That registry key is indeed set. If I run it from the command line on the CommServe I basically get the same results. it acts like it worked but it doesnt.

Posted: 01-28-2015, 11:14 PM

Thanks  ameykarandikar

I will try that tomorrow!

Posted: 01-29-2015, 10:51 AM

I am getting a new error now, and I dont really know what log file to look in. I looked in the qcommand.log file and it's not really telling me anything. I don't see any evidence in the log file of "errorCode=1", only error Code = 0.

Any ideas? Supporting data is below. Thanks again!

I am running it at the Windows command line, just to test it:

C:\Windows\system32>qoperation execute -af "c:\scripts\update_subclient.xml"

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no" ?>
    <App_UpdateSubClientPropertiesResponse>

<response>
    <entity>
    <clientSidePackage>true</clientSidePackage>
    <consumeLicense>true</consumeLicense>
    <subclientName></subclientName>
    <type>GALAXY</type>
    </entity>
    <errorCode>1</errorCode>
    <errorString>DB error: please refer to logs for more details.</errorString>
    </response>

</App_UpdateSubClientPropertiesResponse>

Here is my update_subclient.xml:

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
    <App_UpdateSubClientPropertiesRequest>
    <association>
    <entity backupsetName="defaultBackupSet"
    subclientName="homedirsA"
    clientName="192.10.58.165"
    appName="File System" />
    </association>
    <subClientProperties>
    <contentOperationType>OVERWRITE</contentOperationType>
    <commonProperties>
    <storageDevice>
    <dataBackupStoragePolicy storagePolicyName="bryanSP1" />
    </storageDevice>
    </commonProperties>
    <content path="/test3/homedirs/alingua" />
    </subClientProperties>
    </App_UpdateSubClientPropertiesRequest>

From the qcommand.log file:
    3188  980   01/29 09:37:45 ### Command Line Parameters: qoperation execute -af c:\scripts\update_subclient.xml 
    3188 980 01/29 09:37:45 ### Input File[c:\scripts\update_subclient.xml]
    3188 980 01/29 09:37:45 ### QSDKInitializeWithLoginFlag() - loginFlag:[false],QInitializeParameters:[
    CommServe:[]
    VM Name:[]
    Token File Location:[]
    use Token File :[0]
    use Token String :[0]
    use SessionFile :[1]
    Port Type:[0]
    CsClientName:[]]
    3188 980 01/29 09:37:45 ### QSDKInitializeWithLoginFlag() - CommServer Host Name from Registry:[cv10vm.reveille.lab]
    3188 980 01/29 09:37:45 ### CommServer client Name:[cv10vm] from Registry
    3188 980 01/29 09:37:45 ### QSDKInitializeWithLoginFlag() - Login with csClientName:[cv10vm]
    3188 980 01/29 09:37:45 ### GetQSDKCSSessionsFilePath()() - GetQSDKCSSessionsFilePath():QSDK Session File Path: C:\Program Files\CommVault\Simpana\qsessions.bryan_lusk
    3188 980 01/29 09:37:46 ### Cvcl::init() - CVCL: Running in FIPS Mode
    3188 980 01/29 09:37:46 ### Sending commandline request [GalaxyOperations_QExecuteReqMsg] to QSDK Server
    3188 980 01/29 09:37:46 ### Received response [GalaxyOperations_QExecuteRespMsg] from QSDK Server
    3188 980 01/29 09:37:46 ### qoperation execute returned with error code:0

Posted: 01-29-2015, 10:59 AM

And yes, I am starting with qlogin

Posted: 01-29-2015, 11:18 AM

I figured it out.

I needed to use appName="NAS"

Posted: 01-29-2015, 11:59 AM

by the way, you dont need to do explicit qlogin. by default the workflow will run in the context of whoever starts the workflow. the advantage is that the username and password do not have to be burnt into the workflow. If some other admin runs the workflow then their account will be used to make the subclient property change

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy