Windows 2000 Server Problem

Last post 10-22-2010, 9:09 AM by Garak. 13 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Windows 2000 Server Problem
    Posted: 10-20-2010, 10:33 AM

I know Windows 2000 Server is no longer supported by both CommVault and Microsoft but we still have a handful of them on our campus with no upgrade path in the near future.

We have one server that will back up good for a few weeks, and then not backup at all. Sometimes a reboot works, sometimes it doesn't and sometimes it will just work again.

Every time, the error is this:

Error Code: [19:599]
    Description: Loss of control process ifind.exe. Possible causes: 1. The control process has unexpectedly died. Check dr watson log or core file. 2. The communication to the control process machine nserv0.ad.uams.edu might have gone down due to network errors. 3. If the machine nserv0.ad.uams.edu is a cluster, it may have failed over. 4. The machine nserv0.ad.uams.edu may have rebooted.

Again...this is a vendor supported server and they have said nothing about upgrading.

We have no real solution for this and while un-supported, I was wondering of anyone else was having this problem and had a solution.

Thanks,
    Brian

• Re: Windows 2000 Server Problem
    Posted: 10-20-2010, 10:51 AM

That error is terrible generic, and based on your steps to resolve, its hard to tell exactly what is causing the deviation in results. 

In reference to the one server, where the reboot fixes the issue or sometimes it just begins to work again; when the server is in this condition, do things like check readiness work?  Another thing to try would be to browse the job history, right click the job, view protected objects.  Does this list populate?  This would verify connectivity to the evmgrc process, while check readiness checks CVD, Evmgrc, data paths, ect...

Posted: 10-20-2010, 12:23 PM

Brian,

You may want to review the KB article link below to see if this helps:

http://commvault.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6201/kw/control%20process%20ifind.exe

James

Posted: 10-20-2010, 2:27 PM

Thanks for the KB article but it didn't apply to our issue...

I did right click the last successful job and the last killed job and did not see "view protected objects." Am I in the wrong spot?

Thanks!

Posted: 10-20-2010, 2:37 PM

On that Client machine, can you browse to the Log Files directory and send us CVD.log and FileScan.log?  Is the Client on the same service pack level as the CommServe?

Posted: 10-20-2010, 3:11 PM

Other things.

Sometimes you may just need to start or restart the commvault services on the client.  From the service control manager, I've seen it sitting at an unknown state during the scan phase and just starting it let the backup finish.  In another case I had to specify the drives to backup instead of using the \ to backup everything.

Posted: 10-20-2010, 3:41 PM

Restarting services was the first thing we tried...good news since original posting..it may be FINALLY moving to a 2008 server in the next few days (Virtual)...

Posted: 10-20-2010, 4:17 PM

That would definitely help with the issue.

Posted: 10-21-2010, 1:49 AM

guess you could always try a uninstall, clean up then reboot, reinstall of the agent and update.

Posted: 10-21-2010, 2:31 PM

sssstew:

guess you could always try a uninstall, clean up then reboot, reinstall of the agent and update.

Yeah, tried that months ago...same problem comes back...and we found out the migration to Server 2008 isn't until November 14th, so we are still needing to resolve this issue and back it up...grrrr.

Posted: 10-21-2010, 2:40 PM

If ifind.exe is still bombing out you can change the way it searches.  It would be worth the try to change the default from the "\" and specify the c: drive plus whatever other drives.  I know its not the recommended practice but just offering it as a possible work around.  In the case it worked for me we had many drives it was trying to search though.  I also have one I did the the c: and the D: drive and in another subclient put the e: drive by itself.  Don't know if that applies to your situation but it fixed mine.

Posted: 10-21-2010, 4:26 PM

I ended up having to backup a 2000 server from another server running the commvault client and used a UNC path to back it up.

Posted: 10-21-2010, 6:21 PM

That would work as well.  We have customers who have NT4 machines and they back them up via UNC path on a Server that has the File System IDA installed.

Posted: 10-22-2010, 9:09 AM

mnahas:

If ifind.exe is still bombing out you can change the way it searches.  It would be worth the try to change the default from the "\" and specify the c: drive plus whatever other drives.  I know its not the recommended practice but just offering it as a possible work around.  In the case it worked for me we had many drives it was trying to search though.  I also have one I did the the c: and the D: drive and in another subclient put the e: drive by itself.  Don't know if that applies to your situation but it fixed mine.

I tried this and it had the same results... Frown

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy