Aux Copy setup

Last post 10-25-2010, 11:14 AM by Liam. 5 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Aux Copy setup
    Posted: 10-22-2010, 11:02 AM

I want to make sure I'm setting this up correctly to do what we'd like to do for retention.  We'd like to keep data around on disk for 30 days (fulls and incrementals), have the weekly fulls copied to tape for DR purposes for a month, and have monthly fulls copied to tape for a year.

How should I set up the storage policy copies to accomplish this?  Should I have a seperate Selective Copies for the weekly and the monthly, or is it better to setup them up in a single Selective Copy?

• Re: Aux Copy setup
    Posted: 10-24-2010, 9:37 AM
    • Aplynx is not online. Last active: 09-19-2019, 11:14 AM Liam
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-04-2010
    • New Jersey
    • Master
    • Points 1,707

if you have the drives for it, run separate selective copies for each aux retention. in this way you will have better tape utilization, since weekly jobs will expire will the monthly backups keep those tapes from being reused until they expire. 

Posted: 10-25-2010, 12:23 AM

I agree with Liam.

We do it lilke this :

01 : Disk - spool (though in your case it'd be 30 day retention or 7day 4 cycle maybe)

02 : tape Weekly full - selective last full of the week (we retain these for a month)

03 : tape EOM - selective copy of most recent full backup. (we retain these infinitly)

You might st your disk retention a little longer if you can just sot he source data is available for the selectives when they go off.  I had some issues where tapes had been removed and the disk had aged off so when the selective ran it was asking for tapes to be put back into our loaders.

Posted: 10-25-2010, 2:17 AM

Yep agreed, same here.

Posted: 10-25-2010, 10:39 AM

Aplynx:

if you have the drives for it, run separate selective copies for each aux retention. in this way you will have better tape utilization, since weekly jobs will expire will the monthly backups keep those tapes from being reused until they expire. 

Should I also have different tape pools as well?

Posted: 10-25-2010, 11:14 AM
    • Aplynx is not online. Last active: 09-19-2019, 11:14 AM Liam
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-04-2010
    • New Jersey
    • Master
    • Points 1,707

only if you have specific tapes for the scratch pools. if they can all pull from the same pool it doesn't matter as the software sorts by storage policy/copy policy so you can't mix data from different policies on the same tapes.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy