i worked with the DBA here and we tried some things. i uses the SQL iDA to make a full backup. this did nto solve the issue, so i tried a SQL transaction backup. I then ran a shrink command. the file is still 50GB, but the used space is at 600MB. although not ideal, i will take any amout of shrink for now.
i will keep you posted if i find a way to shrink the rest of the file.
using sql mgmt:
i used the following sql query to see the size.
;with space_used_cte as
size * 8.0 / 1024 as size_mb,
fileproperty(name, 'SpaceUsed') * 8.0 / 1024 as space_used_mb
convert(decimal(5, 2), space_used_mb / size_mb * 100) as space_used_percent
I used the following query to shrink the DB
dbcc shrinkfile(YourDatabaseFileName, <target size in MB>);