Large log file CommServe DB

Last post 02-23-2015, 1:30 PM by Ali. 5 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Large log file CommServe DB
    Posted: 01-26-2015, 12:17 PM

On my commserve box, we are using sql mirroring to copy the DBs to a standby commserve.

we are using version 10 r2 sp9

When i set up the mirroring, i tried to make a backup of the db and log using sql mgmt and it failed.

it turns out that the cx_log1.ldf is very large; at about 103GB.  The log files is about the same size on the standby commserve.

is there a way to shrink this log properly so that i can gain some free space back on my primary and standby box?

thanks

Ian

• Re: Large log file CommServe DB
    Posted: 01-28-2015, 11:24 AM

Ian,

I would recommend opening a case with the Support Hotline.

They will have to investigate further and probably run a SQL command to shrink the logs.  Once that is done, the next step may be to run a Full backup with the SQL iDA and schedule this for once a week followed by running Transaction log backups which should then keep the logs from growing.  

JW

Posted: 02-10-2015, 3:46 PM

i worked with the DBA here and we tried some things. i uses the SQL iDA to make a full backup. this did nto solve the issue, so i tried a SQL transaction backup. I then ran a shrink command. the file is still 50GB, but the used space is at 600MB.  although not ideal, i will take any amout of shrink for now.

i will keep you posted if i find a way to shrink the rest of the file.

using sql mgmt:

i used the following sql query to see the size.

;with space_used_cte as

(

select

name,

size * 8.0 / 1024 as size_mb,

fileproperty(name, 'SpaceUsed') * 8.0 / 1024 as space_used_mb

from sys.database_files

)

select

name,

size_mb,

space_used_mb,

convert(decimal(5, 2), space_used_mb / size_mb * 100) as space_used_percent

from space_used_cte;

I used the following query to shrink the DB

dbcc shrinkfile(YourDatabaseFileName, <target size in MB>);

Posted: 02-11-2015, 11:02 AM
    • Ali is not online. Last active: 07-03-2019, 12:32 PM Ali
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-05-2010

Hi Ian, hope you are well.

If possible would suggest to call in to log an incident, this may not be expected and may becoming progressively worse.  Support will need a copy of the CommServe DB and CommServe log files as well, also if you have the SQL trace files, there is a check box in the GUI when you send logs to include SQL logs as well.

Posted: 02-23-2015, 12:54 PM

Have you tried the DBMaintenance Utility?

http://documentation.commvault.com/hds/v10/article?p=features/tools/db_maintenance.htm

Posted: 02-23-2015, 1:30 PM
    • Ali is not online. Last active: 07-03-2019, 12:32 PM Ali
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-05-2010

Folks,

Usually,
    and is say that sparingly, the logs should self-maintain the size/cleanup routines, there shouldn't be a constant need for manually intervening and manipulating it outside of conventional methods.  Would strongly suggest not to venture into this realm too deeply to resolve it, and best approach I feel is to have it reviewed via the Support team with a copy of the latest CommServe DB backup, and CS log, along with SQL server logs if you can grab them.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy