SQL error on backup of 1 database - VDI error?

Last post 11-19-2020, 11:54 PM by ShaneW. 8 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • SQL error on backup of 1 database - VDI error?
    Posted: 03-23-2015, 10:19 AM

We are getting the following error when backing up 1 particular database using the SQL iDA.  I'm not sure if this is a CommVault issue or SQL issue. 

5800 bb8  03/22 19:02:23 375130 CCvSQLVDIBase::RunQuery() - Error: Cannot open backup device 'da88141c-9343-41dd-935e-a64116069206'. Operating system error 0x80770006(failed to retrieve text for this error. Reason: 15105).
    5800 1220 03/22 19:02:23 375130 CCvSQLVDI::Finalize() - After WaitForSingleObject Calling Finalize [0]
    5800 1220 03/22 19:02:23 375130 CSQLBackup::doVDIBackup() - Error encountered during backup. Error: Cannot open backup device 'da88141c-9343-41dd-935e-a64116069206'. Operating system error 0x80770006(failed to retrieve text for this error. Reason: 15105).

Has anyone come across this before and how can it be fixed?  The database backed up successfully a few times after a reboot but then it starts failing again.

Wondering if I need to oopen a CV ticket on this issue.

Thanks for any help!

• Re: SQL error on backup of 1 database - VDI error?
    Posted: 03-23-2015, 10:39 AM
    • Ali is not online. Last active: 07-03-2019, 12:32 PM Ali
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-05-2010

Hi Melissa,

Seems it could be a SQL related issue.  Could you confirm what version and service pack of Simpana, also does a native backup run and complete successfully?

Posted: 03-25-2015, 9:38 AM

After looking through the Windows event viewer, we did determine this is a SQL issue and not a CommVault issue.  Unfortunately, it is always the backups that discover when there are things wrong in environments!

Thanks for your reply!

Posted: 11-17-2020, 2:53 AM

Hi Melissa,

I realise this is an ancient thread, but do you recall what was wrong with SQL and how did you get it fixed?

Thanks.

Posted: 11-17-2020, 8:50 AM

I do not!!  That was a long time ago.

I found this under a Veritas thread:

have you tried re-registering the SQLVDI.dll...

- Stop all of the SQL Services.
      - Search for, and document the location of each instance of sqlvdi.dll.
      - Click Start, click Run, type Regsvr32 Path\SQLVDI.DLL in the Open box, and then click OK.
      - Reboot the SQL Server.

Also, was SQL updated with any patches / HFs recently ?
    Might be worth a try.  There was a whole team of DBAs that we worked with and I don't have access to that email account at that company anymore or I'd try to find the email thread.
    Sorry!
    Posted: 11-18-2020, 12:39 AM

Not sure what SQL versions are at play here but there is a Microsoft Article which addresses this for SQL Server 2008R2 specifically: https://support.microsoft.com/ha-latn-ng/help/2618570/0x80770006-and-3201-errors-after-you-install-an-instance-of-sql-server

It seems like there is something about the version of SQLVDI.dll that is loaded into memory versus what is installed after an update. You can try restarting the SQL Instance/Server to clear this. 

In most cases where we start seeing this error, it usually is resolved by restarting the instance.

To test VDI outside of Commvault you can try using the Microsoft Backup Simulator: https://github.com/microsoft/tigertoolbox/releases 

It's also worth checking errors returned by the SQL instance at the time you're seeing the failure to open virtual device in Windows Application logs. Also check the "Reason" from the SQLiDA.log  

e.g. Reason 317 translates to "the log for database is not avaialable"

Operating system error 0x80770006(failed to retrieve text for this error. Reason: 317).

Let me know how you get on.

David

Posted: 11-18-2020, 12:53 AM

I appreciate all the responses, guys, thank you.

Waiting for the customer to reboot the SQL server, will report back.

Posted: 11-18-2020, 4:46 PM

You may need to check the windows event viewer and look for the VDI error event to see the technical details.

https://www.sqlbackuprestore.com/vdierrors.htm

Also you will have to make sure what is the Commvault agent version and validate the SQLVDI.dll both 32bit/64bit version are compatible with the SQL server instance you are trying to backup.

https://www.sqlbackuprestore.com/vdiversions.htm

Posted: 11-19-2020, 11:54 PM

A reboot of the SQL server resolved this issue.

Thanks again guys.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2020 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy