System Discovery tool to access (file) Archiving candidates

Last post 05-17-2015, 4:26 PM by Aj_OSS. 2 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • System Discovery tool to access (file) Archiving candidates
    Posted: 05-14-2015, 4:22 PM

Hi Team,

I am about to deploy System Discovery tool for File Archiving oppurtunity at clients environment and wanted to make sure that I do it right the first time. '

As per documentation i do not need to select any filters if I do not want to collect inforamation as per filters specified.

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v10/article?p=features/cloud_db/cloud_agentless_tool_getting_started.htm

"Use the System Discovery Tool to collect all of the data in your system without using filters. If you want to view your data based on file type or other criteria, use the filtering feature in the Web Console reports."

Funny is that above statement is written under prerequisites...

Question I have is, if do not select filters (see attached photo) then I am capturing all the file stats on that server? server in this case is DFS server and data is deduplicatde by windows 2012.

thanks for your time in advance

Cheers

Ajay

Attachment: system discovery.PNG
  • Re: System Discovery tool to access (file) Archiving candidates
    Posted: 05-15-2015, 11:51 AM

Hi AJ

First, I would like to thank you for reading the documentation.

We are in the process of removing the filter selection from the GUI, so we attempted to put as many "notifications" into the documentation to NOT select filters as possible.

And yes, by NOT selecting filtering, you will get all of the data on the Windows server will be scanned (except for NFS mounts. You may then use Web Console reports to customize the out you desire.

If the DFS server data is mapped to the Windows 2012 server (NOT NFS), the data will be scanned. Again, you may obtain customized eports by going into Web Console.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask.

You can also contact me at drabenda@commvault.com

Cheers!

• Re: System Discovery tool to access (file) Archiving candidates
    Posted: 05-17-2015, 4:26 PM

Thanks Denise, Much appreciated your response..

Cheers

Ajay

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy