CDR and Simpana 10

Last post 05-27-2015, 5:13 PM by Stupek. 5 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • CDR and Simpana 10
    Posted: 05-26-2015, 4:25 PM

I had a CDR replication pair configured and running with version 9. We are now using version 10 and I will be rebuilding the pair with new servers. My question is about the CDR driver. In the past, any CV updates applied required a server reboot which was hard to accomplish since this production box has a very limited maintenance window. Can anyone tell me if the driver/reboot requirement still exists with version 10?   I don't believe I can utilize DASH because I need to have the consistenet recovery points between the application and content.

Thanks,  Kathy

• Re: CDR and Simpana 10
    Posted: 05-26-2015, 4:52 PM

Hello Kathy, 

Yes, you will still need to reboot the server when you install updates on the server as the server will need to load the new driver and that is done on reboot.  As far as Dash copy, this will not even be an option to you as it sounds like you are Replicating flat files and application so you will need to continue to use CDR.  Dash copy is the "Replication" of your Magntic chunks from one Media Agent to another.

Please let me know if this answered your qeustions

Thank You

Posted: 05-26-2015, 5:07 PM

Do you know if I can accomplish this by installing the agent on a proxy server?

Thanks,

Kathy

Posted: 05-27-2015, 8:39 AM

Kathy,

Can you please clearify the use of a proxy server.  In the case of CDR any server that has the driver installed will need to be rebooted after the installation of updates.  If by proxy you mean using a UNC path for the destination (not supported for source server) then you will still need the reboot the "proxy" server but the target location will not be reset.

Thank You

Posted: 05-27-2015, 9:31 AM

Stupek,

Sorry for the vague question. The source server is the production server that is hard to reboot. I was wondering if I could set up a proxy to replace the source server, one that can be easily rebooted as needed. The proxy would use a UNC path to pick up the source files in the pair configuration. My destination server is a media agent and I have more control on when I can reboot it.

Thanks,

Kathy

Posted: 05-27-2015, 5:13 PM

Kathy,

unfortunately, you cannot use a UNC path for the source location, only the destination will support UNC paths.  Please let me know if you have any additional questions

Thank You

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy