CLA and DASH copies

Last post 06-19-2015, 2:44 PM by Ali. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • CLA and DASH copies
    Posted: 06-12-2015, 9:50 AM

If you are under a CLA does the data replicated in your secondary DASH copy count against your capacity usage?

What about if you are using dedupe al a carte IE MM-ADO Advacned Disk Option per TB?

• Re: CLA and DASH copies
    Posted: 06-15-2015, 9:29 AM

DASH copies do not really count against the CLA license in the sense that we arent going to count jobs twice (on primary and dash). If the last FULL for a given subclient exists on the DASH copy then the full would count against CLA.  For instance,  if your last FULL for a given subclient exists on the the Primary Copy AND DASH copy, and you prune it from the Primary copy, this FULL would still count against CLA because its on the DASH copy and its the latest FULL for the subclient.

The dedupe per TB option, (which I think you are referring to Deduplication Active Store Capacity), would count data written for all active deduplication stores.  This would include DASH copies.

Posted: 06-15-2015, 10:56 AM

So, in the al carte version its double the data consumption if using dedupe but not so if using the CLA?

What licensed features make the CLA worth while besides the dedupe? I'm not talking about agents, we dont consume enough of those every year to make it noticable. What other features stand out that make the CLA a compelling option?

Posted: 06-15-2015, 12:42 PM

I think you are better off discussing this with your Accout Representative, because I cannot comment on costs and benefits.  I can only tell you how the licensing types work.  There are many licensing options available and in some cases they can be mixed and matched.  We have a very flexible licensing structure. Not one package fits all scenarios.

Im not sure what you mean by al carte, but I think you are referring to the traditional type license where you are licensed by what feature, and agents you want. Normally with this type of license the amount of data protected is not a factor.

CLA is licensed by front end TB (application size). Features and agents are bundled with this and usually allow unlimited installations of agents.

Dedup by Active store is licensed by backend (data written).

So right there Ive mentioned three types of licenses.

If you dont know who to contact, Private Message me your CSID and contact information so I can make contact for you.

Posted: 06-19-2015, 2:44 PM
    • Ali is not online. Last active: 07-03-2019, 12:32 PM Ali
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-05-2010

Hi Mike, more technical fill-in here if you need it:

How it works: 

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v10/article?p=features/license/capacity_license.htm

FAQs:

http://documentation.commvault.com/hds/v10/article?p=features/license/capacity_license_faq.htm

Capacity is the way to go, helps to accomodate for scaling and many other factors, unless again if you aren't concerned with the number of clients in your CommCell or if it remains 'reasonable' then soing with pay-per-iDA is the way to go.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy