Does AUX to cloud mean a new DDB?

Last post 02-23-2019, 2:20 PM by Boberic. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Does AUX to cloud mean a new DDB?
    Posted: 07-15-2015, 3:19 PM

I am working on getting another copy of my deduplicated data to the cloud. Does this mean I would need an additional DDB?

My data is already deduplicated. If I add a new copy and do not choose to enable deduplication, will it just be copying the already deduplicated data to the cloud?

• Re: Does AUX to cloud mean a new DDB?
    Posted: 07-16-2015, 12:42 AM
    If you want to make a copy of the data to Cloud Storage you will have to create a Secondary Copy pointing to Cloud Storage and create an Additional DDB for that copy. DDB cannot be shared between Primary and secondary copies of the same storage policy. Multiple secondary copies can share the same DDB so if you have multiple storage policy I would recommend creating a Global Deduplication Policy and use that for creating the cloud copy.

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v10/article?p=features/deduplication/t_creating_a_global_deduplication_policy.htm

Rajiv Kottomtharayil
    Developer,Commvault
    Posted: 02-22-2019, 5:45 PM

Is this still the correct answer with v11sp14?  It was suggested to me that when doing dedupe-to-cloud we use primary disk (deduped) and then go to cloud with the second policy copy, but there was no mention of a second DDB for the second storage-policy copy.

Posted: 02-23-2019, 2:20 PM

If you want to be able to recover from a failure of your storage housing the primary copy, you will presumably want the cloud copy to be deduplicated separately.  

If all you want is to be able to have a separate copy with different retention settings, then I could see the desire to have this cloud copy under the global DDB.  This isn't what I would want in my environment but I could see it being useful if you have reason to believe your primary copy is fully protected.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy