Copying backup jobs between storage policy copies: "Not Available" and "Not Selected"?

Last post 08-03-2015, 7:59 AM by dmkalsec. 2 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Copying backup jobs between storage policy copies: "Not Available" and "Not Selected"?
    Posted: 08-01-2015, 4:06 PM

Here's my situation in brief: We lost a data path on one of our two disk-based storage libraries. Our primary copies on all of our storage policies point to one library (the one that lost the path), and then aux copies run every night to duplicate the jobs on the second. We use global deduplication databases.

Working with a CommVault engineer, I stopped writes to the bad data path. I sealed my DDB on the bad library, and I'm going through my storage policies one at a time and:

• Deleting the jobs from the bad library.
    • Running data aging
    • Promoting the (good) aux copy into the primary copy.
    • Running an aux copy job to copy the jobs back over.

Out of the gate, no jobs were actually copying on the aux copy job. I managed to get one more note into the engineer before the weekend, and he suggested I look at the "Jobs that will not be copied" on the new aux copy, select the jobs, and choose "Re-copy".

When I list the jobs, almost all of them are in either the "Not Selected" or "Not Available" status. Can someone explain to me what exactly these mean?

For the "Not Available" jobs, I was able to do the right-click, Re-copy, and then run an Aux Copy job and it appeared to copy the jobs successfully. My problem is the "Not Selected" jobs. The Re-copy option is grayed out on those. I did have an option "Pick For Copy", but it doesn't actually seem to do anything that I can tell.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

• Re: Copying backup jobs between storage policy copies: "Not Available" and "Not Selected"?
    Posted: 08-03-2015, 2:26 AM

dmkalsec:

Working with a CommVault engineer, I stopped writes to the bad data path. I sealed my DDB on the bad library, and I'm going through my storage policies one at a time and:

• Deleting the jobs from the bad library.
    • Running data aging
    • Promoting the (good) aux copy into the primary copy.
    • Running an aux copy job to copy the jobs back over.

Out of the gate, no jobs were actually copying on the aux copy job. I managed to get one more note into the engineer before the weekend, and he suggested I look at the "Jobs that will not be copied" on the new aux copy, select the jobs, and choose "Re-copy".

When I list the jobs, almost all of them are in either the "Not Selected" or "Not Available" status. Can someone explain to me what exactly these mean?

For the "Not Available" jobs, I was able to do the right-click, Re-copy, and then run an Aux Copy job and it appeared to copy the jobs successfully. My problem is the "Not Selected" jobs. The Re-copy option is grayed out on those. I did have an option "Pick For Copy", but it doesn't actually seem to do anything that I can tell.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Sounds like you have an existing ticket already opened, is that true? Can you send me the details via private message?

I highly recommend you additional questions are taken up against the already open ticket and if the engineer feels they are not related to that incident, perhaps we should open a new one for explicit assistance against those questions.

Thanks
    Michael 

• Re: Copying backup jobs between storage policy copies: "Not Available" and "Not Selected"?
    Posted: 08-03-2015, 7:59 AM

Michael Fox:

Sounds like you have an existing ticket already opened, is that true? Can you send me the details via private message?

I highly recommend you additional questions are taken up against the already open ticket and if the engineer feels they are not related to that incident, perhaps we should open a new one for explicit assistance against those questions.

Thanks
    Michael 

Yes, I have a ticket open. I sent the details to the ticket as well, but I figured I probably wouldn't hear back from the engineer over the weekend, so I posted here in hopes of catching an opinion I could act on sooner. He should be getting in in a few hours, though, so I'll just wait for him. I'll post the resolution here for future searchers.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy