VSA Hardware Revert VM on NFS Datastore

Last post 10-29-2015, 5:43 PM by Henry. 1 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • VSA Hardware Revert VM on NFS Datastore
    Posted: 09-21-2015, 11:59 PM

Hi all,

I'm having trouble understanding exactly what Hardware Revert will do if selected for a Full VM restore.

Based on the warning when this option is selected the Hardware Revert will revert the entire Volume "datastore" back to that snapshot. We have a NetApp if this makes any difference when discussing reverting snapshots.

I have also read a NetApp/VMWare best practice that used the word either making me concerned as it’s a big different between restoring 1 VM or restoring 15-20 VM's on that volume. 

Note: A hardware revert operation invokes either a single-file SnapRestore operation, which restores a single file from the Snapshot copy, or a volume-based SnapRestore operation, which reverts the entire volume to the Snapshot copy.

For NetApp NFS configurations, a volume-based restore does the following:

- Reverts all data on the file server volume, not just the data that is associated with the Snapshot copy

- Deletes all Snapshot copies that were created after the Snapshot copy to which you are reverting

What I hope will occur is just the single VM i.e.: the VMDK files related to the selected VM will be restored and not the entire volume.

Thanks in advance

Mike

• Re: VSA Hardware Revert VM on NFS Datastore
    Posted: 10-29-2015, 5:43 PM

Novix,

If you perform a Full VM Restore from an intellisnap backup of a VM that is on a NetApp NFS datastore then just the files associated with the VM will be restored/reverted.  This is accessed through the regular full VM restore screen -> Advanced -> "Use hardware revert capability if available"

-Henry

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy