Setup Onepass so it has the same configuration as an old two agent setup

Last post 03-15-2016, 9:15 AM by JP2013. 12 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Setup Onepass so it has the same configuration as an old two agent setup
    Posted: 11-19-2015, 3:54 AM

Hi, I'll start from en beginning our Simpana was installed and configured by a Commvault consultant. And at that time he installed version 8 and now we have version 10 SP12. On our file servers we use both the file system agent and the file archiver agent. The subclients use separate storage policies because we use separat storage media.

We want to replace our old file server with new server that have att new name ans so on. In version 10 I can't install to separat agents any more. We still want to have the same setup on the new servers. So my question is how can I best setup the Onepass agent to function as our old setup?

I read in some forums that someone created two subclient, but they didn't have the same problem as we have.

• Re: Setup Onepass so it has the same configuration as an old two agent setup
    Posted: 11-29-2015, 4:58 AM

Hi Jo,

Because in v10 the option "Enable for archiving" is available at the "File System" agent level, it is almost impossible to mirror the previous v8.0 configuration. 

If the option to activate archiving was set at a lower level lets say, "defaultBackupSet" level, then I would simply create a second backup set and point its subclients to a different storage policy. 

I will try to dig a bit more about this and get back to you if no one else adds thoughts to this.

If we don't get any better answers I would suggest opening a Support Case with CommVault.

Kind Reagrds

Jim

Posted: 12-02-2015, 4:32 PM
    Jim,

Can you please contact our account team to How to achieve this . They should be able to help you with this.

Thanks,
    Savitha
    Posted: 12-09-2015, 3:49 AM

Hi Savitha,

is your reply for me och Jim?

//Joacim

Joacim
    Posted: 12-14-2015, 2:59 AM

Hi Joacim,

I think Savitha was meant to reply to you not to me. Sorry about that confusion. 

Regards

Jim

Posted: 12-23-2015, 4:29 AM

Hi Joacim_S,

I was wondering whether CommVault were able to help set this up for you? I have the exact same issue and want to be able to write my archive data off to a seperate storage polilcy and MagLib not the same as the backup 

Thanks 

Posted: 12-23-2015, 4:37 AM

Hi Mand,

I I have been to busy to contact Commvault. I'll contact them after the holidays.

Joacim
    Posted: 12-23-2015, 4:39 AM

I'll see if i can drop them a call and let you know how i get along and post anything useful

Posted: 12-23-2015, 9:41 AM

I'm pretty sure there is a registry key that allows you to install V9 components in a V10 Commcell.  You could install the individual FS iDA and Archiver iDA from Rev 9, then upgrade them to Rev 10 and they will still function like you were used to in Rev 8.  But eventually CV may close the door on that also.

There is also an option to only protect files that match the archiving rules, so you still may be able to use multiple backup sets and have one do backups and the other do archving with that option set to only protect files that match the archiving rules.  You better get a 2nd opinion on this however.

Posted: 12-23-2015, 10:20 AM

So looking at it the best option is to use (well for me as ive deployed the agents already) two BackupSets and then use one for archiving(i just called it defaultArchiveSet myself). There is a check box in the Content tab "Only backup files that qualify for archiving" if checked will only backup files (essentially archive) files that qualify for archiving.

Gets a bit confusing but ultimately it will do the same as if you were archiving and not duplicate your backup jobs. 

@Dales - I must try out the method for the deploying the v9 agents on a test machine and see if it can be done. I'll try tomorrow and see if it works, thanks for your advice.  Will post my findings here

Posted: 12-23-2015, 11:06 AM

Hi Jo,

Add these two registry keys:
    - [On the CommServe] - registry key [nAllowOlderClients]

Reference: CS0002: Installing clients from previous releases in the CommCell:
    http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v10/article?p=products/commserve/troubleshooting.htm

- [On Windows Clients] - registry key [bIgnoreCommServeVersion]
    Reference: CS0002: Installing clients from previous releases in the CommCell:
    http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v10/article?p=products/commserve/troubleshooting.htm

Regards
    Jim
    Posted: 03-15-2016, 5:39 AM

Hi Jim,

your salution worked out fine for us, thanks.

Regards

Joacim

Joacim
    Posted: 03-15-2016, 9:15 AM

Hi Joacim,

I am so glad you managed to get this resolved. Thank you so much for continuing to use the Forum, much appreciated. Have a great week.

Kind Regards

Jim

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy