VMWare Socket License

Last post 12-08-2016, 7:07 PM by Mitesh. 2 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • VMWare Socket License
    Posted: 12-16-2015, 1:40 PM

Hi Team,

We are planning to buy VMWare Socket license based on the number of ESXi. However based on the requirement , we might take few servers backup as agent based for few servers ... Will that be possible , if we buy VMware socket licenses not with capacity based or client based ?

Kindly please do let me know and also if not , do we have anny document specifically regarding this

Regards

Ram

• Re: VMWare Socket License
    Posted: 12-23-2015, 5:57 AM

Hi Ram,

This is the generic answer I got from the Licensing Team. If there is anything specific I have missed out please let me know. Best to state whether you already have a CommCell ID, Account Manager, Support Contract, etc.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It sounds like you want to purchase the cSIM solution set per socket. This method does this by VSA, no agent in guest. 
    If you want to protect a few servers which are Windows based applications (Exchange, SQL, SharePoint) using the agent based method, you can purchase the vAPP add-on which supports standalone (no clustering) DB-level protection.
    If you want to protect file servers, then you will need file system iDAs which are not included with the cSIM bundles. In this case, you would need DPF. This is because an agent in guest approach treats the VM as if it were physical hence, the metering is different. These VMs would no longer be metered under cSIM but under DPF (You cannot split VMs between cSIM and DPF if using the VSA method). Solution sets can only be mixed with capacity licensing.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kind Regards

Jim

• Re: VMWare Socket License
    Posted: 12-08-2016, 7:07 PM

As per my understanding ,socket licensing would be counted against any VM sitting on that socket and being backed up.

For eg :you have 100 VM's on total 50 CPU hyperv sockets in cluster ..and you want to only backup 10 using socket licensing ..i guess that would be hard to predict untill you have those VM's specific to a single Hyper V with 10 sockets .

Looking for some more comments .

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy