Using Filters with CDR...

Last post 02-19-2016, 1:50 PM by Leo3514. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Using Filters with CDR...
    Posted: 02-18-2016, 4:32 PM

Hello All,

Has anyone dealt with filters in CDR?  The scenario and issue is as follows:

I have a single source going to multiple targets.  In order to use the filters, I'm using muliple replication sets, each filtering out different folders from the same source replicating to different targets.

When the initial sync is completed and the pairs are replicating, it appears that all changed data at the source gets replicated to all the targets and the filters are ignored.

Has anyone seen this before?  Is there a work around to this?

I have a case opened with support to review the logs but I figure I'd also get some feedback from others who have experienced this if any.

Mind you, doing a smart sync on the replication set pairs will clear the data that is not supposed to be on the specific target, but in the replication state, again changes are replicated to all the targets from that point ignoring the filters.

Any info or assistance would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you!

• Re: Using Filters with CDR...
    Posted: 02-18-2016, 5:10 PM

Hello Leo3514,

My first question to assist you would be when were the filters added?  If the pairs were already up and running and then the filters added you will need to not just abort and start the pairs they will need to complete a Full Resync.  If a full resync was not completed then the filters will be ignored.  Please let me know if a Full Resync was completed after adding the filters.

Thank You

Posted: 02-19-2016, 8:24 AM

The filters were applied when the replication set was created and before the pairs were created and started.

I have added folders to the filters since due to the nature of what I'm copying and the constant changes that occur.  When editing the filter, the system will auto restart and perform a smartsync on the pair. The smartsync clears all the folders being filtered out.  But when in a replication state, again all changes are replayed to the target and the filters are ignored.

I have not performed a full resync yet.  I was hoping to avoid this but I guess I'll try it and see if it works.

I'll keep you posted.

Posted: 02-19-2016, 8:57 AM

Leo,

Please make sure to have the "optimizer" enabled as this will ensure we are not sending over all the data again and only files that have been updated or new files.  Step below to ensure optimizer is enabled

Right click on RepSet > all tasks >manage pairs

when that is open look at the bottom right and ensure "include files that do not match destination" is enabled.

Once that is completed then you can abort the pairs and then restart by selecting Full Resync.

Keep in mind that the filters are a moving forward configuration so it will not remove the existing files folders that should be filtered but are present on the desination, you will need to remove those manually and once the filter is working you should no longer see them being Replicated.  Please let me know if this helps.

Thank You

Posted: 02-19-2016, 1:50 PM

The optimizer option has been checked since the beginning.  

Also, when running the Full resync, all the folders that were being filtered were removed from the target.  This I believe is because on the replication set, the option to "Automatically delete orphan files" is checked.  

At this point the filter is being taken into consideration during the Full Resync.  However again, after doing the Full Resync, Changes to the source that are filtered are being replicated to the target.  The filter is being ignored when in a Replicating State.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy