Synthetic Fulls aren't being copied with Auxiliary Copy for one server

Last post 03-24-2016, 3:55 PM by VinnyCThatWhoIBe. 9 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Synthetic Fulls aren't being copied with Auxiliary Copy for one server
    Posted: 03-17-2016, 1:01 PM

Hi everyone,

I have one server that isn't having its synthetic full jobs copied offsite. This server is using the same storage policy as everything else at this location, and all the other servers appear to have their synthetic fulls copied. Auxiliary copies for this storage policy run regularly throughout the day and complete without error. Incrementals for the server in question are being copied offsite successfully. Any ideas on where I can start looking to troubleshoot? Data aging isn't occuring on the old synthetic fulls because "NOT_COPIED".

• Re: Synthetic Fulls aren't being copied with Auxiliary Copy for one server
    Posted: 03-18-2016, 3:32 AM

Hi Pal,

When a new Synthetic Full has been made on the Primary Copy, it will be copied to the aux copy unless you manually choose "Do Not Copy" under the aux copy job list.

Please take a look at this:

Performing an Auxiliary Copy: http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v10/article?p=features/auxiliary_copy/t_run_an_auxiliary_copy.htm

Backups on and After: http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v10/article?p=features/storage_policy_copy/copy_policy.htm

Auxiliary Copy - Troubleshooting: http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v10/article?p=features/auxiliary_copy/troubleshooting.htm

Kind Regards

Jim

Posted: 03-18-2016, 9:47 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. Currently my auxiliary copy is setup and working fine for all other servers that are part of this storage policy. Here's a screenshot of the storage policy with the Primary and Synchronous copy settings.

If I go to "View > Jobs" on the Offsite Disk, and use the filters to only show Synthetic Fulls for the server in question going back to early December, it appears that it has the jobs copied over (it lists 3 at a time because there are 3 subclients for the server)...

But when I look at non-pruneable data for this server in the Data Retention Forecast and Compliance Report, I see SYN copies going as far back as December 19th leading all the way up to this past weekend all listed with NOT_COPIED. Incremental jobs are NOT listed here (aside from ones that haven't met their normal retention rules). Any idea what's going on? Obviously I can't fit the entire list of NOT_COPIED jobs for all three subclients here, but here's a couple of the oldest followed by the newest for just one of the subclients. All three subclients all say NOT_COPIED on the Synthetic Fulls.

Posted: 03-18-2016, 10:39 AM

"NOT_COPIED" means that an Auxiliary Copy has not run.

Try to force an Aux Copy job against that target as per links from my first post and send attach a CVMA.Log here if you still have issues.

Kind Regards

Jim

Posted: 03-18-2016, 12:07 PM

Ok, I've gone to the storage policy, right clicked, selected "All Tasks > Run Auxiliary Copy"

From there I selected the correct source MediaAgent, selected the correct copy selection, and clicked OK as shown here:

The job completed without any errors. Where would I find the log files for the job?

Posted: 03-19-2016, 8:07 AM

Hi Pal,

JobManager.log - CommServe
    AuxCopyMgr.log - CommServe
    AuxCopy.log - MediaAgent

Also try to view the status of the jobs associated with that SP / CL

Backup Jobs Associated with a Storage Policy Copy (View Backup Jobs . . . .)
    http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v10/article?p=features/auxiliary_copy/aux_copy_adv.htm

Storage Policy Copy - Job Management (View the Jobs Associated with the Copy)
    http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v10/article?p=features/storage_policy_copy/storage_policy_copy_job_mgmt.htm

How do I use a port number to communicate with a cloud device?
    http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v10/article?p=features/cloud_storage/cloud_storage_faq.htm

Kind Regards
    Jim
    Posted: 03-21-2016, 10:25 AM

I've run another aux copy job, and have attached the three log files you requested. The forums won't let me attach log files, so I just copied out the relevant info and pasted it into txt files with the same name. I'm looking at the unpruneable data for this server, and when I view the offiste disk info I can seen the correct SYN jobs are there... they just get stuck as "NOT_COPIED" on the primary one anyway for some reason.

Posted: 03-21-2016, 11:07 AM

Are there other secondary copies which those synfulls havent been copied to? 

Posted: 03-21-2016, 11:17 AM

That same storage policy writes monthly fulls to tape with the following configuration:

But the only thing touching the weekly synthetic fulls throughout the month is the aux copy to the offsite disk.

Posted: 03-24-2016, 3:55 PM

Turns out you were right. I had another secondary copy that we would run on-demand that would write to tape. Since it wasn't scheduled to run regulary, I figured that wouldn't be the culprit. CommVault support took a look at the policy and saw that even though it wasn't scheduled to run, the option for "Automatically select Full Backups at frequency" was selected. This was causing all the Synthetic Fulls to queue up.

I've since changed it to "Do not automatically select jobs".

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy