Increased backup time after moving to V11 SP3

Last post 05-18-2016, 12:24 PM by Ali. 9 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Increased backup time after moving to V11 SP3
    Posted: 04-20-2016, 9:21 AM

Hi all,

We recently upgraded from V9 SP14 to V11 SP3.  We ran our fulls over the weekend and a good amount of them are still currently running.  Most are at 70%.  I went through the writers, streams, and mount path settings and they match up to what we have privously to the upgrade.  Any idea what would be causing the extra time to complete these backups.  Previously most would have been finished prior to Monday morning. 

Thank You 

• Re: Increased backup time after moving to V11 SP3
    Posted: 04-21-2016, 8:25 AM

We are seeing the exact same thing.  Our environment is a clean install of v11 sp3 on all new hardware and not an upgrade.

Posted: 05-09-2016, 1:20 PM
    • isle is not online. Last active: 06-04-2019, 3:28 PM isle
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-21-2012
    • NJ
    • Adept
    • Points 308

Brooks:

Hi all,

We recently upgraded from V9 SP14 to V11 SP3.  We ran our fulls over the weekend and a good amount of them are still currently running.  Most are at 70%.  I went through the writers, streams, and mount path settings and they match up to what we have privously to the upgrade.  Any idea what would be causing the extra time to complete these backups.  Previously most would have been finished prior to Monday morning. 

Thank You 

Can you check if data integrity options are enabled?

http://docs.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=features/media_agent/c_crc_validation.htm

In V10 this was off by default but you could toggle it on.

In V11 it is default on by default on new Media Agents (need to confirm if enabled on upgrades)

Posted: 05-09-2016, 1:25 PM

Yes, it is turned on for my v11.  It was a new install and not an upgrade.  Should it be turned off?

Posted: 05-09-2016, 1:30 PM
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-21-2012
    • NJ
    • Adept
    • Points 308

Cook1378:

Yes, it is turned on for my v11.  It was a new install and not an upgrade.  Should it be turned off?

It adds another layer of validation via CRC checks to confirm the data was written to your media successfully.

If it was my enviroment, I would run it to confirm data is validated and the time added to a backup  should be minimal 

This feature was in V10 but is enabled by default in V11 

Keep in mind if is this is your first full to a new deduplication database

You will need a new baseline-

There is overhead there to write the new baseline chunks as nothing new can be referenced.

Once the baseline is established you should see times simimlar to V10 where only new data is written with pointers.

Hope this helps and I would not disable data validation until you rule out other items. 

Posted: 05-09-2016, 1:56 PM

Right now the difference between a full for exchange db is tremendous.  v10 around 8 hrs to write 86 gigs, and on v11 it is taking 22 hrs to write the same data.  This just is not acceptable.  I turned off the 2 settings you mentioned on my v11 media agents and will do some testing.  I really do not think it will make a big enough difference to get me back to what it was in v10.  There has to be something else going on.  v11 is all new servers and storage and should be considerably faster.  It is all dedicated just to CommVault. 

Posted: 05-09-2016, 2:01 PM
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-21-2012
    • NJ
    • Adept
    • Points 308

Cook1378:

Right now the difference between a full for exchange db is tremendous.  v10 around 8 hrs to write 86 gigs, and on v11 it is taking 22 hrs to write the same data.  This just is not acceptable.  I turned off the 2 settings you mentioned on my v11 media agents and will do some testing.  I really do not think it will make a big enough difference to get me back to what it was in v10.  There has to be something else going on.  v11 is all new servers and storage and should be considerably faster.  It is all dedicated just to CommVault. 

I agree, that setting should not increase times that greatly. 

1. what is the network copy speed from your exchange server to the media agent. (windows copy and paste, cvnetworktesttool, psping)
    2. Media Agent OR Client side for the following: Encryption - Compression - Deduplication(Do they match what V10 was set for before?)
    Posted: 05-09-2016, 3:21 PM
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-21-2012
    • NJ
    • Adept
    • Points 308

Updated with a few questions above/removed questions due this post being opened on 5/21

Posted: 05-10-2016, 7:21 AM

This setting is turned off for all three media agents we have.  We have roughly 130-140 fulls that start running Friday afternoon.  We still have on average 20-30 still running through the next Friday at which point I'm having to kill so that any new ones will have the chance to finish.  Before on version 9 we would have less than 10 running the next Monday after a weekend.  It's considerably more now with version 11.  I upped the streams some and it seems to help a little but not much. 

Posted: 05-18-2016, 12:24 PM
    • Ali is not online. Last active: 07-03-2019, 12:32 PM Ali
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-05-2010

Hi Brooks,

If you haven't done so already could you log an incident with Support.  Also if you could send me the incident number directly, we can track its.  Feels like some resource allocation isn't happening.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy