Archiving in a Lotus Domino environment

Last post 05-09-2016, 4:30 PM by jahn. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Archiving in a Lotus Domino environment
    Posted: 05-05-2016, 10:58 AM

Hello

I have this scenario

Two system:

mail001

mail002

each system own its domino data and domino binaries. The systems replicate their data among them and It is like a single mail environment. The Lotus admin told me that every client is configured to use a preferred system ( i.e. mail001 ) and, if this is unavailable, to use the second system ( i.e. mail002 ).

My question is: how do I configure the clients under Simpana?

Do I archive data always from one node ( mail001 or mail002) and enable the second one only if the primary is down?

The domino manager told me the exists a virtual name, but it is not intended as a cluster as I know it and however the data disk aren't shared. The commvault documentation site doesn't cover this scenario.

Thank you

Giovanni 

• Re: Archiving in a Lotus Domino environment
    Posted: 05-06-2016, 2:25 PM

Hi,

I believe you are describing domino cluster configuraiton which is domino's own high availability solution where each domino server knows of other nodes in participation and will connect to the next node in the list automatically in case the current node is in failure.   If not, please let us know.  You are using archiver alone in your configuration? 

If you answer yes for both above, then there could be a way to support this configuration in theoretical sense but formally we don't support this configuraiton and recommend to backup from the primary only.

Jun

Posted: 05-06-2016, 5:50 PM

Hi Jun 

I'm not a Lotus expert, but you're described what it seems to be the customer configuration. The Lotus client knows both the two servers: one as primary and one as secondary. I think the answer to your first question is yes.

I'm using CV as archiver configured in backup mode, because the customer doesn't want the stubs.

Can you please describe me the way to configure CV to treat these two mail servers as a cluster even if not supported?

The mail system is composed by two separate servers with their own private lotus data and binaries paths replicated amomg the systems through the Lotus utilities.  

Can you send me the link where is reported that this scenario is not supported? 

If this is a common scenario ( the customer and lotus consultant told me that this configuration is very common ) why this configuration is not described in documentation.commvault.com (I didn't find any information)

thank you for your help

Giovanni 

Posted: 05-09-2016, 4:30 PM

I will make sure the documentation is updated with the proper information with domino cluster but for now you can backup from physical nodes since the agent is installed on the physical nodes.

Jun

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy