Move data from tape to disk

Last post 05-18-2016, 11:51 AM by Ali. 6 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Move data from tape to disk
    Posted: 05-10-2016, 11:59 AM

We are moving away from tape.  We currently have a policy with infinite rentention and would like to get that moved over to our disk storage.  How do I need to go about setting that up?  The tapes in question will all be offsite and need to be pulled back into the library.  Thanks.

• Re: Move data from tape to disk
    Posted: 05-16-2016, 9:55 AM
    • Aplynx is not online. Last active: 09-19-2019, 11:14 AM Liam
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-04-2010
    • New Jersey
    • Master
    • Points 1,707

You can set up an aux copy and then promote the copy and redirect the source and detaination libaries of the other associted copies. 

Posted: 05-17-2016, 7:22 PM
    • Ali is not online. Last active: 07-03-2019, 12:32 PM Ali
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-05-2010

Hi KM, what version of Commvault are you on.

Also how do you plan to set the retention on the new copy, will you have other copies w/ Ext Ret rules or will it all be set on the new Disk copy (Primary copy).

Posted: 05-18-2016, 8:22 AM

We are running 10 R2 SP11.

Retention will be set to infinite on the new copy.  Everything else will be set on the disk copy.

If I create a new aux copy to pull this data from tape to disk am I going to see the backup dates changed?  One concern I have is searching the data to do a restore and not knowing when it was actually backed up.  Will the new aux copy put it's own timestamp on the job?

Posted: 05-18-2016, 8:27 AM

In RE to" If I create a new aux copy to pull this data from tape to disk am I going to see the backup dates changed? "

No. The JOB IDS from the Source stay the same and the attributes of the original job in terms of when it was backed up ( original time stamp) get carried over.

Regards

SG1

Posted: 05-18-2016, 8:29 AM

SG1:

In RE to" If I create a new aux copy to pull this data from tape to disk am I going to see the backup dates changed? "

No. The JOB IDS from the Source stay the same and the attributes of the original job in terms of when it was backed up ( original time stamp) get carried over.

Regards

SG1

Thank you.

Posted: 05-18-2016, 11:51 AM
    • Ali is not online. Last active: 07-03-2019, 12:32 PM Ali
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-05-2010

Something to consider if you are using dedupe here, if applicable

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v10/article?p=features/deduplication/faq.htm#Why_is_the_DDB_size_large_even_though_data_aging_is_occurring

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy