Delete specific data off tapes

Last post 07-12-2016, 1:44 PM by Ali. 5 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Delete specific data off tapes
    Posted: 07-12-2016, 12:47 PM

This may have been answered already, and if it has, I apologize, this is my first post.

We recently had to change our backup methods from larger backups to smaller backups. In doing a bunch of things over again, it created a lot of doubles. 

What we're wanting to do is go into completed jobs and delete some data so we can free up those tapes for other purposes. In researching this, I found that it appears a license is needed to delete your own data off tapes? Is this really true? Is there another way of going about this?

• Re: Delete specific data off tapes
    Posted: 07-12-2016, 12:51 PM
    • Ali is not online. Last active: 07-03-2019, 12:32 PM Ali
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-05-2010

Hi Jonas, what version of Commvault are you on?  Usually those features are part of the base packages for the Commserve.  Just keep in mind if you do delete a job (selectively) from a tape, it may not release the entire tape back to scratch until all jobs on that tape are manually pruned or meet retention.

How to delete an individual job: 

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=features/data_aging/data_aging_advanced.htm#Pruning_a_Job

Posted: 07-12-2016, 12:57 PM

We are on version 10, not sure of the exact release.

I found an area in that article that explains what I want to do, which is delete the data, but I have a question for this. How do I find out what exactly is on each tape so I know I can delete it? When I go into view contents, it only shows the job that was ran, not the actual data.

Posted: 07-12-2016, 1:33 PM
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-05-2010

From the library level, find the tape, right click --> View Contents will show all the jobs listed on that tape.  Then from the Copy level you can target the required ones.

Ensure to run Data Aging post deletion to complete the process.

Posted: 07-12-2016, 1:39 PM

Ali:

From the library level, find the tape, right click --> View Contents will show all the jobs listed on that tape.  Then from the Copy level you can target the required ones.

Ensure to run Data Aging post deletion to complete the process.

I apologize, but I am not sure I follow this. I understand the view contents, and I see the job that is on the tape. But I don't understand what you mean by from the copy level you can target the required ones. I am wanting to see the exact data on the tape so I know I can delete it all.

Posted: 07-12-2016, 1:44 PM
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-05-2010

Jobs can only be pruned as a whole, one Job ID at a time.  If you're meaning to be able to go into a job itself and prune specific files or folders, then thats not doable.

By Copy meaning the following:

Deleting a Job

You can delete a specific job if it no longer needs to be retained. This is useful to remove bad jobs that might have an impact your Auxiliary Copy operation. You can also use this option to remove unnecessary jobs that are preventing media from being reused. Note that all dependent jobs will be automatically aged when a full job is selected for deletion.

1. From the CommCell Browser, expand Policies | Storage Policies.
    2. Right-click the appropriate storage policy copy, point to View and then click Jobs.
    3. In the Job Filter for Storage Policy dialog box, clear Specify Time Range check box, and then click OK.
    4. In the Jobs for Storage Policy window, right-click the appropriate Job and then click Delete Job.
    5. A message appears that asks if you want to delete a job, click OK.

A list of dependent jobs (incremental backups, log backups, and so on), if available, appears.

6. Click OK to delete the jobs.

A message appears that asks if you want to delete all jobs.

7. Type erase and reuse media and click OK.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy